Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by Kiefer »

I've known Jim for a few years. Our relationship over those years was something of an amoeba.
Our relationship was built on a rocky and crenulated foundation but there was always a mutual respect & tact for one another. At the onset, I tried to keep a lot of distance between us over disagreements over morality and transparency.
But in hindsight, Jim never really strayed that far and over time, especially within the last few months, our relationship had taken form of something much more solid as a true and honest friendship. If we could have been allowed more time, that friendship I believe, would have morphed into one of genuine respect, care and concern built from our tribulations as opposed to "feel-good" complacency.

I remember a couple years ago, Jim told me of his beginnings as a solid 5.10+ climber and how, after trying some of his first 14ers, he was nervous and scared of 3rd and 4th class choss. Nothing is stable! I couldn't help but to laugh at that! :)
And how, back in January, while at work on the phone, he told me, "Kiefer, I know I'm dying. But you know, I'm not scared." Jim and I talked long that night about life and what it is we ultimately take away and the impressions we leave behind. That comment, at least to me, proves beyond the shadow of a doubt to the man's inner strength and genuine character. It pains me SO MUCH that I wasn't allowed more time heal our broken bridges, bury the hatchet further and say our peace. :(
And to that, we both owe Britt an unfathomable favour for being the one to broker and nurture those channels to communication so that we could once again, be friends and hopefully, climb some awesome peaks in the near future.

I wish the experimental treatments that Jim was receiving would have worked.
I wish he would have let Sarah [Simon] and I over to help take care of the house while he attended to...'other things.'
I wish I could have thanked him for accepting my apologies.
I just wish there was more time. :cry:

Safe travels my friend. I hope you find peace along the roads you journey.

Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

This is horribly sad news. I was just thinking the other day how I needed to call him as I hadn't contacted him since Steve's funeral. Strangely enough I never actually met Jim but had talked to him several times about gear, training, and climbing plans. I am very sad our paths never crossed.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

My thanks to Laura Janca for sending me these to post.
Attachments
Climbing in Garden of the Gods
Climbing in Garden of the Gods
Jim-Rainbow.jpg (141.07 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Jim on Capitol
Jim on Capitol
Jim-Capital Peak.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
SenadR
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 193 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SenadR »

We only part to meet again.
R.I.P. My friend.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

One hell of a personality. That's the first thought when I think of you. Second. Energy!

There are times in life when something or someone remind you of our fragility, our gifts, differences that should be respected... Today is one for me.

Cheers to what you brought here Jim. No matter how received at times, always memorable. Keep climbing.

Mindy
Last edited by Mindy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoneStar
14ers: 9 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LoneStar »

Through his stunning photography and exquisite reports, he took me places I will never otherwise go. God's peace to those who love him.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Jim was one of the friendliest people you'd ever meet. Smart, wise, thoughtful, knowledgeable and helpful.

His trip reports are arguably among the very best on 14ers.com. They are both amazingly valuable beta, and works of art at the same time. Heck, even if I didn't care about climbing, I'd read them just for the stories and photography.

Thank you for all you gave us, Jim.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Steve and Jim on the First Annual Quandary Winter Welcomer - the best guys you'd ever want to meet.

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

So sad to hear of his passing. I really enjoyed his posts and artwork. Although I never climbed or hiked with him, I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of his art showings and I have one of his black and whites hanging in my living room that he sold me. He will be missed by many. The world lost a good man. Rest in peace, brother climber.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Like so many I never climbed or hiked with him, but he will be missed. So very sad to hear about his passing.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Oh man, what a shock. Like so many I only knew Jim through his trip reports. But what wonderful reports - so thoughtful, reflective, entertaining. His spirit came though his writing in a way that you rarely see, and anyone who takes the time to enjoy it is richer for the experience. And his photography is not just excellent - it's reverent. I feel as though I've lost a dear friend. Rest in peace Jim. I know I will appreciate having "known" you every time I look on a moonrise.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

So sad. I never met him, but based on what I've heard, it sounds like he got a lot out of life.

Cancer sucks and if there is a chance to donate to a charity in Jim's name, count me in.