Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Dancesatmoonrise has passed away

Post by jbchalk »

Oh wow...I am so so sorry to hear this. How very sad. I didn't know Jim well, but had done a hike or two with him and corresponded quite a bit with him on mountains in general. His trip reports and pictures are truly some of the best out there. What a wonderful man. He will so dearly be missed by everyone. RIP, Jim
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

This is absolutely horrible news.

Jim was an invaluable member of this community and will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace, Jim.
Make wilderness less accessible.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. What a horrible disease. There are very few people that have made such a big impact on this community as he has. I never even met him and I love anything that he puts on paper in here. I've read countless TR's of his and his legacy will always live on. I truly believe every man wants to be remembered for great things - and he certainly will be. RIP
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

RIP Jim.

Post by Jay521 »

I miss Jim terribly but at least he is no longer in pain and has found some peace. I treasure the time I spent with him on the Winter Welcomer trips and I also treasure the time I got to spend with him during his illness. My heart aches.
Jay and Jim on Quandry.jpg
Jay and Jim on Quandry.jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Jim and I did Quandry the day before the Winter Welcomer in 2012 to insure the route would work. What a wonderful man.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Very sorry to hear this. His many contributions to this site will be missed by many. Condolonces to those he left behind. R.I.P.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds like Jim lived a full life. My sincere condolences to Jim's family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Shocking news! But thanks for the alert, Britt! We will certainly miss his presence among us! His stunning photography graced this site on so many occasions. I was hoping to have the opportunity to finally meet him this coming summer. May the Lord comfort his survivors! Peace!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Horrible

In February, I was trading emails with Jim regarding some site-related stuff and he told me about his cancer fight. I was floored. Such a sh!t thing to have to go through. Jim was a smart, strong guy who loved the outdoors and became a well-known member of our climbing community. The guy stays in excellent shape, busts his butt to accomplish big goals in the mountains and friggin' gets cancer. Awful.

Like many of you, I will miss reading his detailed, thoughtfully-written reports.

Goodbye Jim
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

His photography/trip reports are some of the best on this site, he will truly be missed. Really enjoyed the Winter Welcomer last year and all the great info he shared with me through PMs on climbing and photography.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I had the good fortune to meet Jim D and Steve G on the same day, back when I was new to all this, as was he. I met Derek, and Brian, and Sen then too. It was the first of what would become known as the winter welcomer. It was a good day. I remember Jim's enthusiasm for this adventure he was beginning. I'm not a talker, but the guy loved to talk about anything. And I'll never forget his soulful enthusiasm for the Pierre Lakes Basin. He said it was the most beautiful place he had ever visited as an angler, and he was looking forward to seeing it again on a trip up Capitol Peak some day. I've never been up there but based on his colorful description of the place, I'll never forget it.

Jim will be missed. RIP.
Last edited by kimo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

Jim will be truly missed! He was always such an inspiration and encouragement to me. He mentored me in outdoor rock climbing in Red Rocks Open Space and Garden of the Gods. His patience and instruction were invaluable. Rest in peace, my friend!
Attachments
Jim (Dancesatmoonrise) & Noel (Cookiehiker) on Quandary Peak summit 2011
Jim (Dancesatmoonrise) & Noel (Cookiehiker) on Quandary Peak summit 2011
image.jpg (105.51 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beas »

This is very sad news. I learned so much from him without meeting him. His colorful personality and humble intelligence flowed through his trip reports. He will be sorely missed in the climbing community.
Mountains are cool.