Phil Furiosi (Mrwaffles989) Has died

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Phil Furiosi (Mrwaffles989) Has died

Post by globreal »

This is sad indeed. So young....had his whole life ahead of him.
My condolences to his family and friends.
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

RIP , I really enjoyed reading his stories about his adventures and misadventures. I always respected that he would post about his good, successful days and the bad ones, even if it meant catching some flack from people online.
Vincit Qui Patitur
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

That is really sad. He seemed to live for adventure, full of the confidence to try crazy things but the humility to admit when he was wrong. Much, much too young to die. So sorry for his family and friends.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yeah, he definitely wasn't shy about his climbing, and was honest about the results (good or bad). RIP to an interesting forum member.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

This is sad to hear, RIP Mr. Waffles.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Wow, this is very sad news. So young and with so much potential. I enjoyed watching Mr. Waffles "come of age" here on this forum and even though I cringed reading about his misadventures while skiing the Dead Dog and on Mount Rainier, his enthusiasm for the mountains and spirit of adventure were undeniable in his trip reports and posts. My condolences to his friends and family.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Rest in peace, Mrwaffles. And may your memory always be a blessing to those who knew you.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Sad. Never met him, but he was certainly accomplished... and he had some good zingers on here.

Climb on, brother.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 44 22
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

RIP
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Very sad to hear about this. RIP.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I was so sad to learn of this when I woke up today. The "died unexpectedly in his home" stings even worse. Prayers to his family and friends.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Very sad news. From his TRs it appeared as though it would be tough to find someone more stoked to be out skiing peaks.