Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Terry Mathews

Post by highpilgrim »

I never met Terry but interacted with him on the forum at times. Like many of us, Terry had his challenges and his detractors, but one thing was clear: Terry loved his mountains and those that shared his love.

Tonight when I got home I got my statement from the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative and found that Terry had contributed his life insurance policy to their cause. You can debate that choice, or not, but it reaffirms my earlier comment: TM loved his mountains.

I think his choice reflects well on us in these challenging times: Follow your heart, and then follow through.

Good on you, Terry.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Terry Matthews

Post by kushrocks »

highpilgrim wrote:I never met Terry but interacted with him on the forum at times. Like many of us, Terry had his challenges and his detractors, but one thing was clear: Terry loved his mountains and those that shared his love.

Tonight when I got home I got my statement from the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative and found that Terry had contributed his life insurance policy to their cause. You can debate that choice, or not, but it reaffirms my earlier comment: TM loved his mountains.

I think his choice reflects well on us in these challenging times: Follow your heart, and then follow through.

Good on you, Terry.
As someone who was part of his final group text this is awesome to hear. I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!!

“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Well said. Most of my own team members don't even know that when someone was in trouble in the Elks........Terry...... was the person I would call or text, sometimes "in flight" to get beta on "Who" might be on "That" peak, their experience levels, gear carried, etc. Terry could often provide critical information assisting advanced rescue teams and planning. He knew most of who was climbing where, when and routes. Like many of you, he was a huge supporter of Mountain Rescue Aspen and our educational initiatives. His passing hit me particularly hard, in part like Kushrocks, I spend a lot of time speaking and texting during his final days. While I attended his funeral, I was unable to attend the Needle Climb for Terry and until this moment hadn't realized that I did not yet have closure. I think that this piece of the puzzle will allow me to close his chapter in way way I had not yet been able to. I will smile, think of Terry and be reminded of his generosity on approach. Thanks HighPilgrim & Kushrocks
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Nice work. I may have met Terry at a party of mutual friends, but I know they all told me I should go hiking with him, when I was first starting out. Regrettably, I never got the chance. Guess I'll get to thank him a little bit to myself the next time I'm tramping on Shavano! :)
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

highpilgrim wrote:I never met Terry but interacted with him on the forum at times. Like many of us, Terry had his challenges and his detractors, but one thing was clear: Terry loved his mountains and those that shared his love.

Good on you, Terry.
Thanks for sharing this bit info... I didn't know he had done this and am glad to hear it...but not surprised. I would agree, he loved the mountains. I think he was most at peace when he was climbing and in the backcountry.

Peter....thanks for sharing your perspective. I didn't know that...that you would contact Terry for info on 14er climbers. But that makes sense....as he was very connected to this community.

Ryan....thanks for reposting the memorial video from Crestone Needle. I haven't watched it in a while. And it still brought tears to my eyes...even though I've seen it numerous times since I made it.

We miss you Terry. And thanks to all of your contributions to our climbing community.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Thanks so much for posting this. I still think of Terry often. His kind, forgiving spirit is a welcome reminder of what's possible in this world.

-Susan
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

susanjoypaul wrote:Thanks so much for posting this. I still think of Terry often. His kind, forgiving spirit is a welcome reminder of what's possible in this world.

-Susan
+1

I never posted in the original thread about his passing. I was actually in CO for 2 1/2 weeks during this time and by the time I got back home, it didn't seem right to post such a late reply. I was also at a complete loss of words.

I had just driven to CO for the start of my annual vacation and was doing the Arapaho Traverse with K and A. I mentioned to A that I was hoping to meet up with Terry when she told me he had just committed suicide a few days prior. It took my breath away I was so shaken by the unfortunate news. Terry and I had exchanged several emails and were possibly going to meet up to do the Crestones during my 2013 trip. I regret I was never able to actually meet and climb with him. A completely selfless and generous person indeed! Always willing to offer help or assistance in any way he could! He is deeply missed!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I got my CFI booklet yesterday, and on mine I saw that Dancesatmoonrise (Jim) also donated (part of ?) his estate to CFI. For those of us without dependents, it makes sense to donate our estate(s) to causes we feel strongly about. As I've been contemplating the future and what to will my estate to, CAIC and CFI rank pretty high on that list.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Terry and I never met face to face, but like many others, discussed the possibility of getting out together. He was such a strong ambassador of these beautiful mountains. He wanted everyone to enjoy them, and enjoy them safely. He always seemed to stick up for new folks who sought info, yet were often persecuted for one reason or another. I wish many of our newer members and FB population were around to listen to his inclusiveness, experience, and expertise. Grace & peace to all
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison