David Waddington

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

David Waddington

Post by summit2sea »

I'm sorry to announce that my grandfather, David Waddington, passed away in his sleep earlier this week. Born and raised in Westcliffe, he was an avid climber (rock climbing into his 70's) and pioneer of tracks up our mountains. He was a member for over 70 years, and former president, of the Colorado Mountain Club, leading many treks into the high country. David was also probably one of the few remaining individuals alive who could claim first ascents of Colorado mountains. I'm not sure if anyone on this forum knew him, but figured I'd let you all know just in case. Next breeze at your back is probably him helping you along to explore the mountains he loved.
barbosasbarbeque
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: David Waddington

Post by barbosasbarbeque »

I am sorry to hear about your loss. We are all grateful for what he did. Positive vibes sent your way.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Very sorry to hear about the death of your grandfather.

For someone who gets turned around in the parking lot at trailheads with modern maps and 14er.com instructions I have to marvel at the old timers who didn't have obvious paths.
Tough birds they were.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
CliminDave
14ers: 58 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (4)

Post by CliminDave »

Glad to have known your grandfather as I'm a resident of Coal Creek Canyon, He was very independent and strong willed, Did not know him in his climbing days, would have been wonderful though. Dave lived a long and adventurous life. So sad for your loss.