Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
WillRobnett
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits51 
Trip Reports (2)

Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Post by WillRobnett » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 pm

https://gripped.com/news/climbing-legen ... y-dies-94/
Rock climbing legend dies at 94. Rest In Peace.
kaiman
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Fred Beckey - A full life lived!

Post by kaiman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks for the link. That's sad news. Fred Beckey was a true mountaineering legend. May he rest in peace.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by justiner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I guess mothers can take their daughters out of hiding, finally! :lol:

Looks like he lived ahelluva life.
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm

I always loved the picture of him holding the will belay for food sign. Such devotion to something he loved.
SkaredShtles

Post by SkaredShtles » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Now *that* was a life well-lived.
gore galore
Trip Reports (36)

Post by gore galore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 pm

I recall a humorous moment of mine a number of years ago when Fred Beckey was scheduled as a guest at the Telluride Mountain Film Festival. I inquired at the reception center with the question, "is Beckey here?" The hostess looked at me squarely and replied, "who is she?" But whether it was Beckey, the Babe or Magic the rest of us knew who they were in their respective professions. They needed no introductions. A giant of American mountaineering has passed.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 am

To be honest, it's a kind of nice to see a badass climber go due to old age for once.

There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there aren't any bold old climbers. Except for Fred.

Rest in peace,
Presto
14ers:summits58 winter6 
13ers:summits308 winter25 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:26 am

Very sad to hear.

The Man and I already have tickets to see "Dirt Bag" at the Denver Film Festival next Friday ... here's a link if anyone is interested in going.

https://secure.denverfilm.org/tickets/f ... 54&FID=100

We purchased our tickets at the SIE box office and it was less expensive than going through the website (I know that may not be convenient for everyone) ... the service charge on the website is about as minimal as you can get.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
14erFred
14ers:summits51 

Post by 14erFred » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 pm

The passing of this incomparable climbing legend spells the end of an era. He was one of the greatest of his generation and one of my heroes. May he rest In peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing and an inspiration.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Sean Nunn
14ers:summits35 
13ers:summits2 

Post by Sean Nunn » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:19 am

Dave B wrote:To be honest, it's a kind of nice to see a badass climber go due to old age for once.

There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there aren't any bold old climbers. Except for Fred.

Rest in peace,

True that. I google Alex Honnold about once a month to be sure he is still alive.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
colluvium
14ers:summits8 
13ers:summits28 

Post by colluvium » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 am

Half-page obit running in today's print edition of the NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/obit ... imber.html
uwe
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits34 

Post by uwe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 pm

True to the rock. No time for nonsense, plenty of time to climb. Boy, did he. What a grand life! Rest in peace.