RJ Secor

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
seano
14ers: 56
13ers: 131
Trip Reports (3)

RJ Secor

Post by seano » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:45 am

Secor wrote the definitive Sierra guidebook, like Beckey for the Cascades or Ortenburger for the Tetons. RIP.

https://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/blo ... and_author
kaiman
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (10)

Re: RJ Secor

Post by kaiman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Oh that's sad news. I used a copy of the Sierra's book years ago to plan a backpacking/peak bagging trip in California and also used to own a copy of his Mexican Volcanoes book. Always a bummer to read about mountaineers dying before they should.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Candace66
14ers: 42 1
13ers: 180 4

Post by Candace66 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm

!! I hadn't heard about this. Thank you for sharing the news.
"One criterion for climbing a peak is that you should gain a vertical height under your own power equal to your peak's rise from its highest connecting saddle with a neighbor peak...Beyond this minimum gain, you are free to gain as much altitude as your peak-bagging conscience requires." - Gerry Roach, "Colorado 14ers" :wink:
uwe
14ers: 58
13ers: 34

Post by uwe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Sad news! His books helped me with my Aconcagua and Denali projects. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. [Thank you for posting. I would not have known otherwise.]
14erFred
14ers: 51

Post by 14erFred » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 am

Sad to learn of R. J. Secor's passing. He was a prolific climber and brilliant guidebook writer. His comprehensive guide to the High Sierra has become the contemporary standard for the highest peaks in California and has been an invaluable resource in trip-planning for countless climbers. I've spent many hours savoring the alpine delights that his carefully crafted guidebooks helped me discover. Like an inexhaustible Sierra day, his indomitable spirit permeates his writing and inspires readers to pursue their own adventures. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius