RIP Charlotte Fox

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

RIP Charlotte Fox

Post by Matt »

Charlotte Fox, first American woman to summit three 8,000M peaks, has died.
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/f ... -accident/
I was fortunate to have met her and used her balcony to listen to the Bluegrass Festival way back when (why pay?).
Despite being such a bad-ass, she was friendly, kind (even to the lifties!), and her presence just filled the room.
Unless she moved since 2009, her home on the Imogene Pass road had some damn steep steps. God bless her.
Edit-broken link
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: RIP Charlotte Fox

Post by desertdog »

What an impressive human being! RIP Charlotte!!!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

Charlotte and I climbed quite a bit over years. Some memorable climbs off the top of my head: The Titan, Sykes Sickle, Kieners, Lizards Head, Indian Creek FAs back when we had the place to ourselves.

She was always game for an adventure.

RIP Foxy.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

My wife and I met her once at a restaurant in Telluride three years ago on memorial day, we chatted about ski mountaineering ( was in town to ski Wilson PK). I remember her being a very cool, stoked, knowledgeable person, and that we also shared an interesting family connection to her home in NC.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

May Charlotte rest in peace, and may her memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Wordsy obituary of 14er finisher and Into Thin Air alumna Fox in 6/9/18 NYTimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/obit ... -dies.html