Cleve McCarty - first 14er record climber

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Cleve McCarty - first 14er record climber

Post by peter303 »

Boulder climber hiked all 52 then-recognized 14ers in 1960 in 52 days.

http://www.dailycamera.com/recreation/c ... r-obituary

https://www.outsideonline.com/2093446/f ... tory-14ers

P.S. I changed the title from 'Early Fastest Known Time' to 'First 14er Record Climber'.
Perhaps a better description of his achievement.

When you reach full 85-year life of of climbing, family and career I celebrate a remarkable life rather than mourn it.
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Cleve McCarty - early FKT

Post by AnnaG22 »

:( :( Very sad to hear this. My dad helped crew for him on part of those attempts (though I think 'crew' had a slightly different meaning in those days...probably they were primarily company to the hiker?).

Thoughts are with his family.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cleve McCarty - first 14er record climber

Post by 14erFred »

Condolences to Cleve’s family and friends. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius