Carson Black

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Carson Black

Post by ltlFish99 »

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet this gentleman.
Rest in peace Carson.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Sorry to hear about Carson's passing :cry:

Darin, thanks for sharing your memories. We hiked Sayres via X-Rated with him, Scot and Steve about 10 years ago. It was inspiring to hike up that with him (I think he was about 70) and I hope to hike as long into my years as he was able to.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I compiled some photos of trips I did with Carson over the years. Many of them I have posted in reports before, so they're not the first time I've shared them. However, now they're together in one report, dedicated to Carson. For those that knew Carson, I hope you'll enjoy some of the photos and words.

Life So Bright
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Here's an excerpt from the summit register that Spencer Swanger, Stewart Green, Carson Black, Gordon Blanz, Jack Harry, and Bill Graves left on Thunder Pyramid when they did its first ascent on 8/2/1970. (They informally named the peak "Thunder Mountain" at the time.)
Dallas Peak Summit Register - p .2.jpg
Dallas Peak Summit Register - p .2.jpg (275.8 KiB) Viewed 7470 times
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

I saw this name as the subject and it haunted me. I remembered it the second I heard it.

My story is that a friend and I were climbing up Humboldt and we camped off the road the night before. We didn't make it all the way up in my Element. Neither did this Subaru next to us. We met a nice older man and a younger woman and said our hellos and got some rest. The next day we met up with them on the summit. They got up an hour later than us and beat us to the summit by a half hour. They didn't use the trails, they went up more of the winter route, straight up the slopes from below. This guy was a legend. I remember after talking to him awhile the woman was like, "tell them who you are" or maybe she said "tell them what you've done..." He was a humble guy and he wasn't up there to brag. He spoke of some of his favorite summits and we were loving his stories. What an interesting life he had. I was glad to have met him.
ktbrennan200
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ktbrennan200 »

What a delightful, fun, compassionate person! And so many Carson stories to tell.
Carson completed the 14ers for the first time at a party on Yale, with watermelon and champagne.
Decades ago we were X-C over New Year’s weekend from Twin Lakes over Independence Pass to Aspen, then over Pearl Pass to Crested Butte, a ski of 5 days, 4 nights in frigid sub zero temps. The third night out, in a hut below Pearl Pass, our MSR fuel bottles were less than full. So Carson, being efficient, combined two bottles, pouring fuel from one partial bottle into another partial bottle. Sadly, the second bottle was not fuel, it was our supply of 150 proof rum. No more happy shots on that X-C. Thanks for the good times, Carson.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

The Celebration of Life for Carson will take place on June 25th at Fox Run Regional Park, 2119 Stella Drive, Colorado Springs, 80921, at Pavilion #1 (Use googlemaps.com with the name and address and it shows the Pavilion #1 location) from 3 pm to 6 pm.
At this time we're planning a potluck, but no alcohol (it's not allowed at the park).

If you knew Carson and would like to stop by and share a story or two, please do.

- Darin
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

Darin, Thanks for the info. I plan to be there.