Remembering Steve Hoffmeyer

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cmcbill
Trip Reports (9)

Remembering Steve Hoffmeyer

Post by cmcbill »

Steve passed away on July 16th, 2022 exercising his lifelong passion for outdoor activities. We like to think that he left us doing what he loved the most. Born on October 1st, 1950 in New York, Steve moved to Colorado in the early 90’s as his heart was truly seduced by the beauty of Colorado and the numerous adventures open in his very backyard. You can get a glimpse of his life through his autobiography at http://stevescoloradoadventures.blogspot.com.

Steve was a member, and later an instructor, of the Colorado Mountain Club, climbed all of Colorado’s 14ers multiple times, in total, he climbed over 400 14ers. He had also led an ambitious expedition to Denali, Alaska (https://www.hoffmeyer.com/Denali/Default.htm) and numerous other adventures throughout the years which led to one of his other passions of professional photography (http://stevespictureblog.blogspot.com). Steve was the pioneer in bringing many 14er enthusiasts together though the creation of the now extinct website, 14erWorld.com. When he wasn’t outdoors he exercised his other life-long passion: chess! Above all, Steve touched many souls with his enthusiasm, sense of humor and an unapologetic New Yorker personality. He will be sorely missed amongst his community and family. He lived life without a dull moment.

Steve also had a big heart. He cared about everybody, especially those in need, those seeking for betterment, and those he considered his friends and family. His clarity of thought brought support to many in a warm and welcoming way. He had the heart of a lion: strong, protective and caring to those who formed his pride. He lives on within his beloved wife, Val, his step-daughter, Heloisa, his mom, Jeanne, and his close friends that came to form his family.

A fundraiser was created to honor the life and legacy of a loving parent, husband, son, and friend, Steve Hoffmeyer.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/steve-hoffme ... ly-support
Any donations will go directly to his wife to help cover funeral costs, his 93 years old mother in assisted living, and overall family needs during this very difficult time.
14erworld.com R.I.P

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Remembering Steve Hoffmeyer

Post by d_baker »

Wow, this came as a sad surprise.
I think I had only met Steve once or twice, probably at one of the 14erW gatherings and maybe once at a TH, but regardless, he seemed like an overall good guy with good intentions. I wasn't a member on 14erW for that long, but I did appreciate the good years there and for what he tried to build and offer, as well as the community that was on there.
RIP and best wishes to those that were close to him, both family and friends.
laswa-guide
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laswa-guide »

cmcbill,
Thanks for posting.

RIP "Stevo". Condolences to his family and friends, past and present.

I was in Steve's CMC Basic Mountaineering School (BMS) group. We had a hard core group encouraged by mountaineering stalwarts Bruce Hope and Chip Drumwright for instructors. We arranged our own group climb of Capitol halfway through the class. Steve took a great picture of me perched on the knife edge that was later featured in a CMC Photography show. We then went on to do a graduation climb of Crestone Needle intending to do the traverse N-to-Pk. The group was too large with a couple of extras from another group. We did the rappel off the summit but then had to abort the traverse. We got lured by a ramp system that went around the SW buttress of the Needle and cliffed out above Cottonwood Lake. We did an epic 200'+ two-stage rappel with doubled 60m ropes and finding a 9mm rope that was found tied off by others who bailed the same way. Steve persevered and got Crestone Pk. the next summer as his finishing 14er. Chip and I took a few more years to get that prized peak at the time and I ended up doing the Needle 3x, before and after. Steve retained his NYC accent and his smile was infectious.

Hikes with the Denali Dog Boys were also great fun.

Can't resist more. On the same Crestones trip, I left my ice axe in the back of Chip Drumwright's truck after we got back to the 2WD TH. He called the next day and talked to my SIL who was visiting from MA. She thought he said "eye sacks" with his Texas accent and left me a note accordingly thinking that he meant contact lens cases. :-D

laswa-guide
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm trying to remember when I "found" 14erworld. Probably 2001 or so. I remember using the original very basic forum on the website before he even got a proper forum going. 14erworld and Roach's book got me started in all of this. I had a 14erworld sticker on the back of my first 4Runner for years. It even got me out of a ticket once. The community was great and I fondly remember all of Ken Nolan's entertaining trip reports including his winter ascent of Columbia with kidney stones (!!!). I owe Steve and that website a huge thanks for helping get me started with higher peaks. I think he also led the CMC Photography group for a time?

I don't think I ever met him in person that I can recall. Maybe at a gathering though? Condolences to his family and friends.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I'm always at a loss for words in situations like this. I met Steve through 14erWorld. At the time I had been hiking with long time friends since college, pretty much oblivious to the rest of the Colorado hiking/climbing community. Steve and I became friends and hiked a number of peaks together. My memories of Steve are that 14W introduced me to some of the more accomplished hikers/climbers in the Colorado community and more importantly introduced me to some new friends and hiking partners. I lost contact with Steve after the collapse of 14W, but a picture of him appears on my digital picture frame periodically....
SteveYalesummit.small.JPG
SteveYalesummit.small.JPG (107.94 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
RIP Steve
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SuperPolok
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:25 am I'm trying to remember when I "found" 14erworld. Probably 2001 or so. I remember using the original very basic forum on the website before he even got a proper forum going. 14erworld and Roach's book got me started in all of this. I had a 14erworld sticker on the back of my first 4Runner for years. It even got me out of a ticket once. The community was great and I fondly remember all of Ken Nolan's entertaining trip reports including his winter ascent of Columbia with kidney stones (!!!). I owe Steve and that website a huge thanks for helping get me started with higher peaks. I think he also led the CMC Photography group for a time?

I don't think I ever met him in person that I can recall. Maybe at a gathering though? Condolences to his family and friends.
This sounds exactly like my path too Jon! I had stumbled my way up Atlantic Peak with little knowledge and even less preparedness but I immediately became addicted. I did a websearch (pre GOOGLE!) and one of the first things that came up was 14erworld. I too remember the old forum style that was just one long page. I had the chance to meet Steve at a couple of his 14erworld gatherings and I will forever be indebted to him for creating a site that helped me so much. And yes Ken Nolan's TRs were stuff of legend!

Sincere condolences to his family and all his friends.
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Met Steve many years ago through the CMC, a really good guy. Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

RIP dear friend. Lots of good memories. I have quite a few excellent friends met on your 14erworld site. Here's Steve enjoying pineapple slices (?) on top of La Plata, 2004.
017_filtereda.jpg
017_filtereda.jpg (170.14 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Long live cardboard Rodney!
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

And glissading snow with a leather man. RIP Steve.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

rob runkle wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:04 am Long live cardboard Rodney!
Yep. Too bad Rodney didn't finish the list, but my family and I were on six 14ers with him! Great idea, somebody should do something like that again someday.
dscn0300.jpg
dscn0300.jpg (192.9 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

Steve's FourteenerWorld webgroup became a great community of like-minded climbers. Thinking back, I see how so many of my friends were all brought together through that webgroup, the annual Gatherings, and countless climbs.

Thanks, Steve.
Attachments
Mt Evans, Jan 2010
Mt Evans, Jan 2010
IMG_9445 (2).JPG (171.65 KiB) Viewed 3745 times