12th Annual Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NathanRL
14ers:summits26 
13ers:summits8 

Re: 12th Annual Winter Welcomer!

Post by NathanRL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm

I'd love to do North Star and Wheeler. Done DeCaLiBron from Montgomery Reservoir a few times and stared over at them.

There might not be a winter to welcome by then if the storm track stays above us for the next couple weeks.
CharGalli
14ers:summits41 

Post by CharGalli » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:15 pm

:roll: fine... I guess I will come ... Yay, kidding it was a conga line last year ... but fun
Only from the heart can you touch the sky.
Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. - Rumi
bmcqueen
14ers:summits58 winter47 
13ers:summits278 winter11 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by bmcqueen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Greetings all!

It's great to see that there is some interest in the Winter Welcomer again this year. As Britt mentioned in the opening announcement, the purpose of this that Steve and Jim set out to accomplish was to help introduce people to winter mountaineering in a reasonably safe environment (say Quandary's east ridge). It has been fun to have a west ridge group also for those who are more advanced, but still want to learn some of those winter skills with experienced partners. The greatest interest so far seems to be on the North Star/Wheeler traverse. David's recent (and very well done by the way) trip report indicated 10.5 hours for that effort in dry conditions (with admittedly some extra time documenting sections for purposes of the forthcoming TR). Doing something with a group always takes longer. Doing tougher terrain in non-dry conditions takes longer. I haven't personally done the traverse between those peaks, but looking at it in both directions, it looks like a tough day out. Obviously the mountains are open and those who have expressed interest in giving the traverse a go should feel free to do so if they are comfortable with the skills, daylight and weather when the time comes.

As for the official "Winter Welcomer", Britt and I chatted tonight and want to keep the focus on the goals Steve and Jim initially set. Quandary's east ridge is certainly a walk-up that will fail to interest some. That's totally fine, but we will have a group going up that way to keep with the intent and tradition if there are folks that would find that to be a good opportunity to try out their colder weather gear.

North Star is a slight step up from Quandary's east ridge. There are a few scrambly parts of the upper ridge where people could get a taste of some cold weather spice without it being unruly or difficult for us to keep a group together and safe. Quandary's west ridge is a step up from that where crampons are likely to be on feet during at least a couple of sections and I've pulled my rope out on a few occasions. The Wheeler/North Star traverse is not something that I would feel like I could safely take a group up in potentially cold/snowy conditions and have a fighting chance of getting everyone down safely before darkness falls.

So that Britt and I can gauge numbers and where he and I should be that day, please let us know which route you would plan to join. If one of the others who has expressed interest in Wheeler/North Star traverse is comfortable taking on a "trip leader" kind of role for that, you are certainly welcome to do so.

Looking forward to this year's Winter Welcomer!
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
jasayrevt
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits156 winter4 
Trip Reports (24)

Post by jasayrevt » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Good. What ya'll do for the Colorado mountaineering community is sincerely appreciated. I am bowing out from attending this one due to a scheduled Half Marathon Event run. Enjoy, safe summits, etc.
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (22)

Post by bmcqueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:21 am

For those considering the options, I thought it also might be helpful to share some round trip route times:

Quandary East Ridge - most of my snowy months seem to be in the 4.5 hour to 6.5 hour round trip range.

Quandary West Ridge - last year was 9:18 RT. 2016 was 8:42 RT. So call it 9 hours - a few in the west ridge crew did it much faster last year, but I stayed with the last person. My two summer month west ridge climbs were 5:52 and 7:25 RT, so call it 6.5 hour average. Meaning 38% more time with snow on the route and heavier pack. Assuming same 38% more time on North Star to Wheeler traverse, that takes the 10.5 hour time David had when solo and dry up to 14.5 hours.

North Star - I've only done it once, but it was December 2015 (so colder month with snow - good proxy) - it took 5:23 round trip, so pretty similar to the Quandary East Ridge.

I hope this is helpful.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

JulianSmith
14ers:summits57 ski38 winter12 
13ers:summits52 ski9 winter4 

Post by JulianSmith » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am

Heck, most of these are symptoms I experience on a regular basis when climbing 14-ers...

Sorry, this is too good to pass up, even if some might find it in bad taste....
globreal wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 am
The 12th Annual Winter Welcomer!
Quandary Peak-14,265'-East Ridge

Please do not come if you are experiencing any virus symptoms:
• Fever or chills
• Cough
• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
• Fatigue
• Muscle or body aches
• Headache
• New loss of taste or smell
• Sore throat
• Congestion or runny nose
• Nausea or vomiting
• Diarrhea

Disclaimer from years past which continues to apply:
The Winter Welcomer is unofficial and informal, it has no affiliation with any groups, organizations or websites. It is not a guide service. There is no professional instruction offered and no fees are exchanged for goods or services. The more experienced hikers will of course be happy to help newer folks, but you enter the wilderness at your own risk. None of the organizers or associated online forums/groups are liable for your well-being. If you choose to attend and hike a trail, you are personally responsible for having the knowledge, skill and experience necessary to reach your destination. We make no promises for your safety and this includes the potential of coming in contact with someone who may have Covid-19. We also believe in and practice all Leave No Trace principles and expect others to do the same.
globreal
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits176 winter7 
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 pm

JulianSmith wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am
Heck, most of these are symptoms I experience on a regular basis when climbing 14-ers...

Sorry, this is too good to pass up, even if some might find it in bad taste....
globreal wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 am
The 12th Annual Winter Welcomer!
Quandary Peak-14,265'-East Ridge

Please do not come if you are experiencing any virus symptoms:
• Fever or chills
• Cough
• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
• Fatigue
• Muscle or body aches
• Headache
• New loss of taste or smell
• Sore throat
• Congestion or runny nose
• Nausea or vomiting
• Diarrhea

Disclaimer from years past which continues to apply:
The Winter Welcomer is unofficial and informal, it has no affiliation with any groups, organizations or websites. It is not a guide service. There is no professional instruction offered and no fees are exchanged for goods or services. The more experienced hikers will of course be happy to help newer folks, but you enter the wilderness at your own risk. None of the organizers or associated online forums/groups are liable for your well-being. If you choose to attend and hike a trail, you are personally responsible for having the knowledge, skill and experience necessary to reach your destination. We make no promises for your safety and this includes the potential of coming in contact with someone who may have Covid-19. We also believe in and practice all Leave No Trace principles and expect others to do the same.
Nope....not in bad taste. That there was funny!
SkyGirl
14ers:summits28 

Post by SkyGirl » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am

I would love to join everyone. I keep a slow pace, so I'll do an early start (6am) if someone wants company early.
Legend09
14ers:summits15 
13ers:summits5 winter2 

Post by Legend09 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 am

I’ll be joining the standard east ridge route, I’m shooting for a 4-5 am start time, I like to go slow.
globreal
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits176 winter7 
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 pm

To those interested, I have decided to climb the west ridge route of Quandary this year... and come down the standard east ridge route. I hope to leave a car at the standard Quandary TH and get a ride to the Blue Lakes TH from someone helping with a shuttle. I'll likely start before sunrise. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

PLEASE NOTE: Bill's parking instructions on the Quandary page may be a little to relaxed, as I've seen people get parking tickets on the road right beside the parking lot. My suggestion...DO NOT PARK ANYWHERE on the 850/Blue Lakes Road. Only park in the parking lot if you don't want a ticket.

Don't forget your Halloween costume. And one with a mask is even better!

Britt
geg86
14ers: List not added

Post by geg86 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 am

I’d be interested in ascending the west ridge and descending the east ridge. Would prefer to do the west ridge with a group (but no concerns descending the east ridge alone).
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (22)

Post by bmcqueen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:36 am

For optimum distancing and since quite a few seemed to have an interest in North Star, I’m going to go up that way from the Hoosier Pass TH this year. I’ll plan to walk from the TH at 7:15 am for this 8 mile RT hike. I’ll have my costume - you should too. PM me or reply in the thread if you plan to join me next Saturday. Also, happy to answer any gear questions in the spirit of trying to assist those newer to doing peaks in the colder months. Here is a link to Bill’s route description which includes the TH right off Hoosier Pass. We can wave to Britt’s Quandary group from across the way.

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=nort1&type=13ers

Looking forward to it,
Brad