La Plata Ellingwood Ridge/Mt Hope

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vertical_volume
14ers: 38
13ers: 4

La Plata Ellingwood Ridge/Mt Hope

Post by vertical_volume »

Sending Ellingwood Ridge on La Plata on Sat 9/18. might send Mt Hope and Quail or Huron afterwards, but that's tbd. if anyone's interested for either one lmk. I could do it solo, but it's more fun with others - preferably someone(s) with above average speed

Since I'm posting, i may as well throw out a "looking for future climbing partners" advertisement, too. I'm 23 and I just moved out here from New York in August of this year. I'm a peakbagger and a trail runner looking for type 2 fun, hit me up!
RETEP 1
14ers: 58
13ers: 19

Re: La Plata Ellingwood Ridge/Mt Hope

Post by RETEP 1 »

Just gonna throw this out there….no single 14er route that I’ve done to this point surprised me more than Ellingwood Ridge.
vertical_volume

RETEP 1 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:28 pm Just gonna throw this out there….no single 14er route that I’ve done to this point surprised me more than Ellingwood Ridge.
in what way?
RETEP 1
14ers: 58
13ers: 19

Post by RETEP 1 »

I know Roach warns you it’s difficult but I figured at 9.5 miles and 5900 ft gain it would be fairly typical 14ering. It’s only class 3 climbing, if that, but it’s long and sustained. My watch tracked it at 12.72 miles and route finding is worth preparing for. You’ll probably have a great day of you go in with this mindset but I was planning on 3.5-4 hours and back to twin lakes before lunch. It ended up taking a 6:15 and I was wiped!
Gandalf69
14ers: 31
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Gandalf69 »

I found the ridge harder than Capitol, which I did 4x last summer before doing Ellindwood. Pick a good weather window and you will be fine. Be prepared to back climb if you go the wrong way on the ridge. Some areas start OK, and end up pretty crazy. Nothing I've done yet was more satisfying than reaching la Plata's summit by this route.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (48)

Post by Wentzl »

Wow, ten years almost to the day since I "sent" that route. I know you weren't asking, but let me self promote an exceptionally useful trip report on the hike!

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjEdbuCu6IY
vertical_volume

Wentzl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:25 pm Wow, ten years almost to the day since I "sent" that route. I know you weren't asking, but let me self promote an exceptionally useful trip report on the hike!

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

Happy and thankful for any and all tips and info. Thanks!
daway8
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 102 21
Trip Reports (55)

Post by daway8 »

I really enjoyed Ellingwood Ridge up La Plata but lots of people on this site seem to hate it. The standard route drops into some loose gullies, bypassing much of the second half and then climbs up more loose stuff to regain the ridge.

It's much more fun to try to hold to the ridge crest but you'll rapidly exceed class 3 that way and can get into serious trouble if you violate the rule of not going up/down something you can't do in reverse if needed.

It took me like 16hrs to do which is insane given that it's only a 10 mile-ish route, but I spent lots of time just playing on the first half then ended up being wiped out partway through the second half.

If you want the gory details you can find them here: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51 49 1
13ers: 28 21
Trip Reports (20)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I’ve never done that route but have climbed and skied the north face, just getting into that basin was a pain, user climb times are from 6 to 26 hours on this site, 6 is ridiculously fast and 26, well I’m not sure what happened there, though most are bunched around 12-14 hours, so plan accordingly, the good weather window would be key here and it seems like Saturday you should have that, so enjoy and be safe.
climbingcue
14ers: 58 7 17
13ers: 188 8 9

Post by climbingcue »

Ellingwood ridge is fun, but it goes on forever. Here is my data from when I did it. Total time with stops was 10 hours.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1873985898
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 44 months and counting...