Meeker - 10/23

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnvoyer
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 5

Meeker - 10/23

Post by mtnvoyer »

I am considering Mount Meeker this coming Saturday October 23rd. Early start from standard Long's TH. Moderate / normal pace as I am using this as a training hike for Pico De Orizaba in November. Planning on another peak on Sunday as well. Looking for any beta as well any interest for somebody to join. Thx.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58 47
13ers: 332 16
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Meeker - 10/23

Post by bmcqueen »

I was thinking about McHenrys Sunday if you have an interest. Meeker is fun (as is Orizaba) - can’t do Sat though.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Micaiah
14ers: List not added

Post by Micaiah »

Based on my Longs summit yesterday, I would expect some snow and ice accumulation in the Loft, particularly at the ledge at the headwall. Snow quality varied widely, from neve on wind affected slopes, to sugar snow in sheltered areas. Talus and scree not yet frozen in place. For best security on ledge traverse, crampons and ice axe. Microspikes and axe may suffice, if attempting to save weight. No need to consider flotation. Snow accumulation minimal/ absent on south facing terrain.
viejo
14ers: List not added

Post by viejo »

From this past Saturday, went up the loft, down the iron gates. As expected, some snow in the loft. Ramp was not bad, but exiting will either hang your butt out over the air going climbers left of the exit boulder, or into some deeper snow staying right. Brought spikes but didn't wear them, although was 50/50 as to whether to put them on. I wouldn't have found an axe useful in these shoulder conditions. Crossover from west to east summit fairly dry, as was return down iron gates. Wore tennies for the trip. Some cold toes while pushing some of the snow, but no extended discomfort. More snow expected tonight, so conditions will vary, as you well know.
arthurtect
14ers: 26
13ers: 20

Post by arthurtect »

bmcqueen wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm I was thinking about McHenrys Sunday if you have an interest. Meeker is fun (as is Orizaba) - can’t do Sat though.
I'd be interested in doing McHenry's on Sunday if you are looking for someone to tag along. Fully understand if you've got a plan already, though.