Slow Hikers Unite!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon1702
14ers:summits17 
13ers:summits4 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Slow Hikers Unite!

Post by Jon1702 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm thinking about Princeton (first choice) or Uncompaghre (second choice) on Sat 8/11. Anyone want to join? I'm a pretty slow hiker, but steady. For context, took me about 7 hours RT on Huron, 7 hours RT on Grays & Torreys, 10 hours RT on San Luis. I'd be coming from Denver. Camping is an option too.
timstich
14ers:summits11 

Post by timstich » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Slow hiker, fast hiker. Maybe we can find some hikes for us to use as a benchmark? It should be moderately steep and short. You hike the trail alone at your preferred pace and then record the time. That way you can see who else likes your pace.

It could work, I tells ya!
timf
14ers:summits35 winter3 
13ers:summits27 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 am

timstich wrote:Slow hiker, fast hiker. Maybe we can find some hikes for us to use as a benchmark? It should be moderately steep and short. You hike the trail alone at your preferred pace and then record the time. That way you can see who else likes your pace.

It could work, I tells ya!
Hey cool name! How about just the Manitou Incline as a simple benchmark. I've done it in 55 minutes but if I really hit it I might be able to break into the upper 40s. So that's "my slowness".
mommyhiker
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits35 

Post by mommyhiker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am

Took me 1 hour, 20 minutes. 55 minutes is not slow at all.
timstich

Post by timstich » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:33 am

timf wrote: Hey cool name! How about just the Manitou Incline as a simple benchmark. I've done it in 55 minutes but if I really hit it I might be able to break into the upper 40s. So that's "my slowness".
I was thinking that the Incline would be perfect, as almost all of us knows our times and have traveled even across the state to do it. I think I was in the 50s last time I did it. Best time was 35, but certainly don't hike at that pace regularly. I would rather do the 50. :mrgreen:
timf
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:24 am

timstich wrote:
timf wrote: Hey cool name! How about just the Manitou Incline as a simple benchmark. I've done it in 55 minutes but if I really hit it I might be able to break into the upper 40s. So that's "my slowness".
I was thinking that the Incline would be perfect, as almost all of us knows our times and have traveled even across the state to do it. I think I was in the 50s last time I did it. Best time was 35, but certainly don't hike at that pace regularly. I would rather do the 50. :mrgreen:
Uh 35 minutes is blistering speed in my book. Yes a 14er hike will always take longer then the incline. The incline is just a benchmark I think for people to get a general idea how fast or slow people are. People can have an off day or feeling extra strong.
timf
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 am

mommyhiker wrote:Took me 1 hour, 20 minutes. 55 minutes is not slow at all.
1:20 is pretty good! Those stairs are relentless it seems. :-D
mtree
14ers: List not added

Post by mtree » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:42 am

I don't think you can use the Incline as a benchmark for hiking elevation gain/speed. It lacks one crucial element...altitude. A better measure would be some of the easier, front range 14ers. And not just your "one" hike. Do them multiple times to get a better idea of your average climbing speed.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
timstich

Post by timstich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 am

timf wrote: Uh 35 minutes is blistering speed in my book. Yes a 14er hike will always take longer then the incline. The incline is just a benchmark I think for people to get a general idea how fast or slow people are. People can have an off day or feeling extra strong.
And it took all I could give to get that time. More recently after not hiking much for months I did it in 55 minutes. I have also taken over an hour. When I'm doing stuff off the couch, I want to do the over an hour pace for some new hike. So that's the kind of person I want to be with. :-D I would rather hike alone than go with some of my friends, as their pace will kill me and make the hike miserable or mine will make them cold, or what have you.

Oh, another hiking preference is whether or not you like to stop all of the time. I absolutely don't like stopping, unless it is for a layer change.
CheapCigarMan
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits32 winter2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Looks like rain on San Luis and in the Sangre's this weekend. Next option is Wilson Peak and weather looks clear so far. If interested, I'd like to leave Denver this Friday, before noon. Climb Saturday.
I should be on a mountain
solomom

Post by solomom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Is anyone interested in hiking Quandary for the 10th winter welcome hike on 11/3? I'm a slower hiker and it will be my first winter 14er. Looking for someone to start the hike with earlier than the group (around 6:30-7?). I like to stop and catch my breath, take photos sometimes and just go slow.
RevSev75

Post by RevSev75 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Looks like I am missing the slow hike fun by a week. I'm going to be attempting either Sherman or Quandary hopefully on October 27. I'm coming from the midwest and basing in Fairplay. Would love a partner to amble up the hill with me.