Do you too dream of Denali?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
little_castaldo
14ers:summits40 ski1 winter2 
13ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by little_castaldo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:00 am

Hi all,

I have some big mountaineering dreams down the road (Denali, the Grand, Island Peak) and was hoping to meet a few people who have similar goals in mind (especially ladies!)

This winter I was planning on lots of hiking (14ers and non), some beginner couloir climbs, and maybe some mixed rock/snow climbs. I've climbed Rainier and Chimborazo, and I have all the necessary gear, except for a splitboard (but maybe acquiring in the spring). I also sport climb and have multi-pitch experience (no trad yet). If you're interested in bigger objectives, or just want to talk mountains on some training hikes, please let me know. I am by no means super intense or an expert, but I would say I'm an intermediate with most gear looking to get better and learn more on my way to these bigger mountains.

Please message me if you think we'd be a good fit and are ok with taking the necessary COVID precautions.

Thanks,
Ashley
Jaro
14ers: List not added

Re: Do you too dream of Denali?

Post by Jaro » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:03 am

I also have dreams of Denali and am looking to find partners in the front range area interested in getting out and working towards this goal.
jbealer
14ers:summits58 winter15 
13ers:summits109 winter7 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jbealer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 am

Denali is on my 2022 or 2023 list. I need to go back to Rainier in 2021 (no summit in 2018, covid lockdown 2020) and looking at Aconcagua early 2022.
Think we might be on close paths, have training and gear. Shoot me a message if you want to talk more.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
ekalina
14ers:summits14 winter1 
13ers:summits27 winter3 

Post by ekalina » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:51 am

Although the big mountains are not on my radar for now, just wanted to say that it's inspiring to hear about people training and getting after them! Much respect! :bicep:
WVMountaineer
14ers:summits58 winter4 

Post by WVMountaineer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Yes! I was working on putting my goal in place this year but CMC HAMS is delayed a year so Denali 2022 is now pushed to 2023... I've been on Rainier twice with self guided teams. First time in July 2018 turned around on DC just shy of 13k due to teammate issues. 2nd time in May 2019 was a successful summit via Emmons-Winthrop Route. Went on to finish the 14ers later in 2019 and have been itching for a larger goal since. If our timelines sound similar, I'd be happy to train with you.

As I learned my first time on Rainier roped to an incompetent climber in a dangerous situation, the team is the key to success so vet yours thoroughly.

Cheers,
WV
Fortune Cookie Says "Calamity is the touchstone of a brave mind."
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm

I had the west rib on my radar for next year, but a career change is taking that off the table I may be in for 2021. I would prefer west rib or west butt ski descent. If it isn't clear, I'm in the unguided camp.

I'm always game for some smaller goals if others are training. I have my sights set on pushing grades (hopefully into 5.10ish) for trad/alpine, realistically I'm at 5.7ish right now and I can't get hurt during the next 6 months, a minor sprain might be ok, but if I can't really even jog by the next monday that is no bueno for me. Couloirs are always fun, I'd like to put in a 2 or 3 lap day on skywalker when it comes into fruition this early summer. Any long days on the front range (even if laps are needed) would be on my radar until mid june and then I can maybe sneak away for a long weekend or two.

My extended stretch goals are Alapamyo/Ranraplaca/Tocllaraju and Whillians-Cochrane on Poincenot. A picketts traverse and daytripping liberty ridge would be fun too, but liberty is probably out this year becuase of my work situation. Picketts I would need to be able to crank a bit harder to have any real fun back there.
little_castaldo
Trip Reports (4)

Post by little_castaldo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Jaro wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:03 am
I also have dreams of Denali and am looking to find partners in the front range area interested in getting out and working towards this goal.
Thanks Jaro - I got your email and sent you a reply!
Will_E
14ers:summits58 winter44 
13ers:summits74 winter1 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Will_E » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:42 pm

I’m on the bandwagon for a Denali attempt also.
little_castaldo
Trip Reports (4)

Post by little_castaldo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm

WV, Conor, and Will - thanks guys for your replies! I'll shoot you all a PM shortly, but sounds like there's no shortage of dreamers out there this season :)
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:14 pm

A dream without action is merely a vision.

I hope to see some of you out there in ‘22!
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
weakenedwarrior
14ers:summits28 winter3 
13ers:summits15 winter3 

Post by weakenedwarrior » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:15 pm

I would also like to work my way up to some bigger mountain objectives. Short term I'm going back to Rainier next summer - I was there in 2019 and had to turn around because avy danger was too high during my window. I have some experience in the snow - easy ridge hiking and couloir climbing and would like to do more, and I'm getting my AIARE1 in January. I have very limited experience on rock though, and none on ice. Keep me in the loop if you get some group training hikes going or are looking for more partners. I'm located in Denver if that matters.
globreal
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits178 winter8 
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:29 pm

I use to.....a lot!

Here is something to look at during the longer winter nights:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

Unlike Rainier training, be sure to do crevasse rescue training with sleds. They can really complicate matters!