Do you too dream of Denali?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewS
14ers:summits17 winter2 
13ers:summits2 

Re: Do you too dream of Denali?

Post by AndrewS » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:49 pm

This link is a trip report with some excellent pictures and video of Cassin Ridge from Jeff and Priti Wright: https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic ... -06092018/
Matt Lemke
14ers:summits58 winter8 
13ers:summits115 winter16 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Jeff and Priti literally have the perfect life together. They did Cerro Torre and poincenot during the last chalten season. They had a total epic getting down poincenot.

They had an amazing year despite covid.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
highpilgrim
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:24 pm

I've attached an article from National Geographic that has SPECTACULAR IMAGERY, including summit panos from Everest. Very much worth looking at!!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... s-feature/
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
bergsteigen
14ers:summits58 ski52 winter18 
13ers:summits519 ski98 winter18 
Trip Reports (233)

Post by bergsteigen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:49 pm

I’ve wanted to summit Denali since I saw it from my office window in Fairbanks. Was one of the first mountains I dreamed about up there. I’d like to ski it, but that would be highly contingent on the teammates involved. I’ve already learned the lesson while living up there about a bad team ruining a trip. The Alaska Alpine Club was a little too heavy on the military and males when I was a part of it. I have most of the gear and experience (if rusty). Of course, there are tons of other worthy objectives that are on my list, should I get back up there again.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
FireOnTheMountain
14ers:summits53 ski1 winter23 
13ers:summits268 winter39 
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:04 pm

AndrewS wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:49 pm
This link is a trip report with some excellent pictures and video of Cassin Ridge from Jeff and Priti Wright: https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic ... -06092018/
Very cool, thanks for sharing this.

I'm really only interested in rock climbing anymore, but damn, Cassin would still be super sick. Its not a mountain to have a meaningful job though, imho. Way too much potential sitting around doing nothing on PTO. Need to ditch the job for that mountain, again just my opinion and I do know people can get lucky but it seems 2 weeks min is the norm. And thats on the lighter side.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
ChrisinAZ
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits35 winter1 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:07 am

While I'm no longer out West, Denali remains a perennial goal, and I'm approaching the point in my life financially and career-wise where I can potentially attain it. Getting in proper shape, getting the gear, and physically and mentally preparing for the trip will take some work, though. My experiences on Mexico's high peaks make me cautiously optimistic that altitude won't be a show stopper for me up there, though there's plenty else on the mountain that's dangerous and could thwart a summit bid...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
I Man
14ers:summits58 winter49 
13ers:summits73 winter12 
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:04 pm
AndrewS wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:49 pm
Very cool, thanks for sharing this.

I'm really only interested in rock climbing anymore, but damn, Cassin would still be super sick. Its not a mountain to have a meaningful job though, imho. Way too much potential sitting around doing nothing on PTO. Need to ditch the job for that mountain, again just my opinion and I do know people can get lucky but it seems 2 weeks min is the norm. And thats on the lighter side.
That was very cool, indeed. I still dream of Cassin, but my slow ass needs a 3-4 day high pressure and I think I used up my good weather window for my lifetime on Logan in 2014. Unlikely I will try again, but man that looks like THE route.

2 weeks is minimum, even if you get lucky and do everything right. Three weeks is better. I agree, if you save all your PTO for a year to go to Denali, you will probably spend many more moments wondering what you are doing with your life and questioning all decisions that led you to this point than moments where you say "This is it!"

With 4 trips to Alaska under my belt, each time the sentiment of "wtf are we doing, we could be actually climbing somewhere else in the world" takes hold. I have had little success up North. The last time I flew off the glacier in 2017, the conversation was "We are never coming here again." By the 2nd beer and after a burger at the West Rib, we were talking about going in on a cabin in Talkeetna. That's just Alaska for you. Stockholm syndrome. There's just something about that place.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers:summits53 ski1 winter23 
13ers:summits268 winter39 
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:20 am

I Man wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am
By the 2nd beer and after a burger at the West Rib, we were talking about going in on a cabin in Talkeetna. That's just Alaska for you. Stockholm syndrome. There's just something about that place.
Haha word man. My one trip to the Ruth ended similarly. Place is f***ing magical.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
kimbuk2
14ers:summits4 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Post by kimbuk2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:11 am

Me! I messaged you to connect!

-Kim
Monster5
14ers:summits58 winter30 
13ers:summits284 winter51 
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:13 pm
They had an amazing year despite covid.
Yeah, no kidding. I met them on Lib Ridge right before their Cassin trip. Total badasses. They achieved what would be over a dozen lifetime objectives for most this past year alone.

Otina - it isn't just the AK Alpine club that's heavy on military and males. Can't say I miss living there whatsoever.

As with Abe, PTO is the main issue despite being in the fortunate position of unlimited PTO and in charge of my schedule. That's almost worse though. I fear my company and employees suffering through a bad month while I'm sitting in a tent jamming out. Blitz trips are just what I'm used to, not expeditions. Blitz trips in AK require abnormal physiology (for altitude) and weather luck.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich