Ice & technical winter climbing intro

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lawrencejia
14ers: List not added

Ice & technical winter climbing intro

Post by lawrencejia » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi y'all! My name is Larry and I've been reading this site for a long time but have never posted. I've climbed a few 14ers in the summertime and am heading back to Colorado in Jan 2021 (Jan 5-Feb 5 2021) and am looking to climb some 14ers in the snow! I'm also looking to try some technical stuff and ice climbing but I can't find a suitable friend to help intro me. I'll be living in Silverthorne and was hoping someone on this forum is brave enough to climb with me.

I'm 19 years old, male, and a college student currently on-leave because of the pandemic. I'm from Virginia, fell in love with the Rockies, and am really looking forward to getting into this community!
Wildernessjane
14ers:summits58 ski9 winter41 
13ers:summits221 ski14 winter16 

Re: Ice & technical winter climbing intro

Post by Wildernessjane » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am

Welcome to the forum! For what it’s worth, I believe there is great benefit to learning the ice climbing basics (and other technical skills) from a professional, especially if your other option is to find some rando off an internet forum. You want to learn proper technique the first time around so muscle memory is not developed for sloppy form (especially important for ice climbing). Once you have those basics down, it’ll be much easier to find partners and mentors AND you’ll be able to tell if they even know what they’re doing. It looks like Colorado Mountain School is running courses right now: https://coloradomountainschool.com/prod ... -climbing/
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?