Rainier June 2021

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits192 winter8 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Rainier June 2021

Post by HikerGuy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm

I can recommend not going in October.
Coyote
14ers: List not added

Post by Coyote » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Why do we have to endure this child spouting his filth all over the forum ad nauseum? I mean honestly, there are actual teenagers on this forum with more maturity. I vote for mutiny. This guy clearly feeds off the attention and his behavior is beyond any reasonable expectation of acquiescence. I don't care how many times he says he'll mature or try to change, nor how many of his hiking partners vouch for his offline persona. I'm tired of him contaminating every thread he can with his toxicity. It's an absolute stain on this community.
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 pm

Reading all these weather horror stories makes me feel lucky. We booked a last minute trip. Picked up our permit on the am, made camp below kautz icefield, carried over next day and then all the way down the dc to paradise. Mid to late june. Piping hot on the mountain.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Coyote wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Why do we have to endure this child spouting his filth all over the forum ad nauseum? I mean honestly, there are actual teenagers on this forum with more maturity. I vote for mutiny. This guy clearly feeds off the attention and his behavior is beyond any reasonable expectation of acquiescence. I don't care how many times he says he'll mature or try to change, nor how many of his hiking partners vouch for his offline persona. I'm tired of him contaminating every thread he can with his toxicity. It's an absolute stain on this community.
You’re about 3 pages and a day late bud. Maybe make your own forum? I bet your whole 10 posts has made a drastic difference for the better in this “community” smd
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
shredthegnar10
14ers:summits58 ski2 winter1 
13ers:summits14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 am

June can be more fickle with weather, but I'd say about 2/3 of the month is generally pretty nice. I haven't done Rainier in June but been up a few other Cascade peaks (including Baker) during that time and conditions were pretty nice. Of course, if you go with a guided trip that is set for specific dates then it's harder to be flexible with your itinerary.
The first couple weeks of August are also pretty ideal, but as others have said the later in the summer you get the more the crevasses open up. And when that happens totally depends on the winter we have and how quickly things warm up in the spring. That said, if you go with guides, how complicated the crevasses are shouldn't be a problem... that's what the guides are for. The mountain rangers and guide companies will install ladders on the crevasse crossings (on the DC route at least) later in the season.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 am

Coyote wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 pm
Why do we have to endure this child spouting his filth all over the forum ad nauseum? ...
I think you can mark someone as a foe on the forum. I think it mutes their posts for you, if I'm not mistaken.
blazintoes
Trip Reports (10)

Post by blazintoes » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:06 am

OP read Nykers’ per usual helpful and informative post.

CaptCo

There’s a difference between being offended by truth versus malicious offense. You crossed the line when you personally attacked members who offended you with the truth.
The truth is supposed to offend you, that’s how you know you don’t got it you palavering fool.

Perhaps you didn’t hear me when I said the best thing to do when someone offends you is to ignore.
But in this case you should listen!
Read the book I let you borrow and STFU!

You disappoint me.

Also STOP posting when you’re stoned please. Thank you.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 am

On a somewhat related note, "ten pounds of sh*t in a five pound sack" has become one of my favorite sentences lately.
Dan_Suitor
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits60 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:23 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm
I can recommend not going in May.
Century Bound, eventually.
weakenedwarrior
14ers:summits28 winter3 
13ers:summits15 winter3 

Post by weakenedwarrior » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:25 pm

Dan_Suitor wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:23 pm
HikerGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm
I can recommend not going in May.
I went in May 2019 with RMI. It was snowing the whole week, except on my summit day which was a bluebird day. The only problem is that all the snow that had gone down the previous days hadn't consolidated and the avy concern caused us to turn around fairly quickly.
As mentioned before, one of the limitations of going guided is that there is zero flexibility around your schedule. If your summit day has horrible weather / unsafe conditions, even if the next day is perfect / totally safe, you're still going down the mountain, no second chance (in my case though, the group that was scheduled to summit the next day didn't summit either).
One of the advantages though, is that as nyker mentioned earlier, attempting Rainier requires a skillset that includes rope/knot work, setting anchors and crevasse rescue among other things. Those are skills that you can learn (at least to some extent) with a guide. RMI offers different kinds of climbing experiences. One is a 3 or 4 day summit bid where on the first day you just learn to self arrest and to not walk right next to your rope partners, and then you can just rely on the guide to haul you to the summit on a two day window if that's all you want. But they also offer seminars / clinics of 6 days. During those, you spend more days on the mountain and with the guides, camping, and learn rope work, crevasse rescue, the joys of camping in the snow and what that entails (building a camp, melting snow and so on), etc. I'm sure the other big outfitters offer the same stuff. It's probably not very different from the mountaineering development series that CMS offers, where at the end of a 4 or 5 day program you get to do a mountaineering route in RMNP. Except here your mountaineering route is one of the routes on Rainier.
I'm going back to Rainier in July with RMI again. I had attempted the Disappointment Cleaver route last time as part of the shorter program, and although I couldn't summit, I was happy with what I had learned. This year I'm doing a longer seminar which culminates with a summit bid through the Kautz Glacier route and I'm very much looking forward to it.
Cygnus X1
14ers:summits25 
13ers:summits11 

Post by Cygnus X1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Dave B wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 am
On a somewhat related note, "ten pounds of sh*t in a five pound sack" has become one of my favorite sentences lately.
Haha was just watching an episode of Junkyard Empire and one of the mechanics used that line when he was trying to stuff a Hellcat into a 70's Cuda.