Let's climb some (relatively) easy winter peaks!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benmangelsdorf
14ers:summits12 winter3 
13ers:summits14 winter1 

Let's climb some (relatively) easy winter peaks!

Post by benmangelsdorf » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:42 am

Hello! My name is Ben and I am looking for people that are interested in tackling some of the more beginner-friendly peaks this winter. I am interested in stuff that has a lower avalanche worry, but I'm definitely not limiting myself to just 14ers (I love 13ers perhaps more). Elbert, Pikes, Silverheels, Sherman, Evans (depending on snow) are all high on my list. I would also be interested in repeating some mountains I have already done but in winter conditions, so Bierstadt, Decalibron (did in November but really only Democrat featured deep snow), Loveland Pass peaks, James, et cetera. If you're also interested in getting some of these done and staying as safe as possible, let me know and respond here or shoot me a DM. :) I live in Boulder and am down to drive pretty much anywhere to hike. I work from home with a pretty unique schedule, and my usual hiking days are Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, but I can pretty much hike any day of the week with a bit of notice beforehand.

A little about me: I'm 23, from STL, and a recent graduate of CU back in May. I come from a rock climbing background (focused on bouldering) but I'm trying to transition into mountaineering after starting hiking mountains this past summer. I want to use this winter as a bit of a learning experience to slowly build up some skills so I can later do some more "legit" mountaineering. I was planning on mainly solo hiking this winter but for safety and fun purposes I would love to have some more people to go out there with.
Dignus
14ers:summits36 
13ers:summits7 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Let's climb some (relatively) easy winter peaks!

Post by Dignus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:52 am

I'm also trying to finally get started on winter peaks. I only have winter experience at lower elevations and on safer terrain so I'd be sticking to class 1/2 peaks. I'm free weekends and federal holidays, so let me know if you want to meet up!
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 am

Hit me up if you ever want to tag along Ben! I usually have a few peeps our age that can get it done and have fun.

Alec
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
mindfolded
14ers:summits25 winter2 
13ers:summits7 winter2 

Post by mindfolded » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:47 pm

PM sent.
"I get all the news I need on the weather report."
iainwint
14ers:summits11 winter3 
13ers:summits28 winter5 

Post by iainwint » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 pm

A bit late to the party but I'm in the same boat. Wanting to do more winter climbs but lack partners. I'm up for just about anything and will hopefully be taking AIARE 1 next month.
Last edited by iainwint on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakethesnake_630
14ers:summits12 winter1 
13ers:summits7 winter1 

Post by jakethesnake_630 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Hey all, this is my first year in CO (I too live in Boulder), so I am also always looking for people to hike/trail run/backcountry ski/climb/etc with. I spent several years in the White Mountains in NH cutting my teeth, but still slowly opening things up around the Front Range (everything feels much bigger & scarier - but in a good way. At least the weather is much better). I have zero problem doing solo stuff, and I do pretty regularly, but for the same safety reasons am always happy to tag along or pull people into missions.

For background: I boulder & top rope, I can follow but not yet comfortable leading trad, comfortable on most class 3 & 4 (would be more than comfortable leading low class 5 on belay), & decent on skis. I prefer moving fast & light in the mountains, but given the right company am more than happy to slow down the pace & take in the views. For reference I have done Longs a couple different ways in ~4hours & can move faster on some of the easier peaks (did Bierstadt Winter < 3hrs).

I typically do big missions on the weekends, mostly because work sucks..

Also.. I have a 4x4 Ranger truck for those that are winter trailhead incapable :)

Hit me up!