Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Post by OldTrad »

Personally I love early starts like this, and avoided some bad weather this way. It can help to stack the odds of success in your own favor. It also helps avoid camping, which can be another bonus.
ker0uac
14ers: List not added

Post by ker0uac »

timewarp01 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:40 pm I wonder how long it takes for guys like this to realize what a caricature they are. Immediately dismissing the well-intentioned advice of more experienced climbers is a rookie mistake that often leads to lessons learned the hard way. If nothing else, I hope the OP appreciates that his posts are riddled with red flags that any potential partners will see and steer well clear.
This is an inflammatory post that adds no value.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58 2 5
13ers: 67 5

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

*Casually sips coffee like the pretentious ass I am*

This is becoming a very interesting thread and a case study in heuristics/cognative biases lol.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
12ersRule
14ers: 58
13ers: 134
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 pm It's my post and I will govern it how i want it to be. I also like to chill and have fun. After the hike i usually fire up a 20 oz. steak and drink a 6'er below the 14'er.
I've retired from hiking 14ers because 12ersRule doesn't do repeats, unless they're great 12ers. However, I'm in for the after party. The clods I hike with don't party at all any more.

I don't eat cow any more, so if you can deal with plant based meat, that'd be cool.
jfm3
14ers: 44
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jfm3 »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 pm I wish you realized who you were talking to. I have more skills than you realize. I am almost a professional climber, and was a guide for 8 years.
Who ARE we talking to? Who are you? If you have all these qualifications and all this experience, there may well be someone on this forum who has some first or second-hand knowledge of you. Not sure the Man vs. Wild ethos is necessary for a stroll up the 'harder and desolate' Mt. Sherman.
Last edited by jfm3 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Matt
14ers: 58
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Is this a test of how welcoming this forum is to newcomers?

Seriously, I'm in the same age bracket as OP and was never considered a fast hiker--average at best.
I usually had more beer at camp the night before than I should have and stayed up too late listening to Coast to Coast AM.
I was successful on 56/58 of the 14ers on my first try and started before 5am maybe five times. The two I missed were because of injury or gear failure.

I think OP's rigidity and stated standards reflect more on past experiences than any potential partner. We all want to meet our goals but if the goal is to have a partner, IDK about that post.

I wish him good luck, successful summits, and recommend a different approach to finding partners if using online dating sites.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
speth
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by speth »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 pmI wish you realized who you were talking to.
:wft:
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
ker0uac

Post by ker0uac »

jfm3 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Who ARE we talking to? Who are you? If you have all these qualifications and all this experience, there may well be someone on this forum who has had some first or second-hand knowledge of you. Not sure the Man vs. Wild ethos is necessary for a stroll up the 'harder and desolate' Mt. Sherman.
Mountaineering is a hobby (or sport depending on our POV) that exists outside of Colorado as well. There are lots of elite mountaineers who have never touched a 14er or 13er in their lives. In fact, some of the greatest mountaineers I have met in my life never attempted to conquer the 14ers.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 32
13ers: 107 18
Trip Reports (32)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm I'd be in if breakfast was included.
It can always be arranged, but you'd be getting up earlier than 4am.
That's fine. I'm partial to 3am starts anyways. Donuts or a pop tart would be sufficient for breakfast.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
speth
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by speth »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm
jfm3 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Who ARE we talking to? Who are you? If you have all these qualifications and all this experience, there may well be someone on this forum who has had some first or second-hand knowledge of you. Not sure the Man vs. Wild ethos is necessary for a stroll up the 'harder and desolate' Mt. Sherman.
Mountaineering is a hobby (or sport depending on our POV) that exists outside of Colorado as well. There are lots of elite mountaineers who have never touched a 14er or 13er in their lives. In fact, some of the greatest mountaineers I have met in my life never attempted to conquer the 14ers.
Went to a CMC talk I believe in 2012 with Ed Viesturs, and he did a QA at the end. Someone asked if he had ever "conquered a Colorado 14er" and he literally laughed at them, one of my favorite Colorado memories overall.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58 2 5
13ers: 67 5

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

speth wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Went to a CMC talk I believe in 2012 with Ed Viesturs, and he did a QA at the end. Someone asked if he had ever "conquered a Colorado 14er" and he literally laughed at them, one of my favorite Colorado memories overall.
I love how self-absorbed Colorado climbers get, myself very much included. We think we are so hard for having done the 58 when in reality most of those are just walk-ups. Looking at some of the routes in the Cascades, Sierra, Tetons or even the more difficult 13ers is humbling for sure! :lol:
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
cedica

Post by cedica »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 pm I wish you realized who you were talking to.
Well, obviously somebody smart enough not to say "do you know who I am". Because retort would be too easy.
existential.jpg
existential.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 359 times