Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Post by bigredmachine »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 pm
hellmanm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am OP, you seem to be all about discipline, and you have some strict criteria for partners. I'd focus less on discipline and more on judgment, though. For example, you talk about how you want to go without stopping or making breakfast. You should be focusing on researching weather to determine your window, looking up at the sky, and adjusting pace as needed. You should be discussing proper nutrition, and adjusting to how each partner's body responds to caloric intake in order to maximize efficiency (and happiness, quite frankly).

The same goes for safety -- you talk a lot about your survival background, but quite frankly you should be worried about not destroying your Prius that you "hammer on rocks" to get to/from a trailhead (especially since you're going for more remote peaks). The best survival strategy is to avoid being in a survival situation in the first place. Your partners need to be in great shape, but not once did you mention routefinding ability or experience as an important qualifier. I'd rather hike something dangerous with someone who's a little slow/overweight, but has great judgment and skill, than with a really fit guy/girl who has no idea what they're doing.

I've hiked over half the peaks on your 2021 list, and I've gotten up before 4AM for some of them too :lol: . I don't think you're looking at this the right way. Good luck out there, and stay safe.
I wish you realized who you were talking to. I have more skills than you realize. I am almost a professional climber, and was a guide for 8 years.
Rangerguy is back, and he has now CRUSHED Bierstadt
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

I should’ve had a drink or two before reading this. I love y’all
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Jbroscious
14ers: List not added

Post by Jbroscious »

bigredmachine wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:23 pm
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 pm
hellmanm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 am OP, you seem to be all about discipline, and you have some strict criteria for partners. I'd focus less on discipline and more on judgment, though. For example, you talk about how you want to go without stopping or making breakfast. You should be focusing on researching weather to determine your window, looking up at the sky, and adjusting pace as needed. You should be discussing proper nutrition, and adjusting to how each partner's body responds to caloric intake in order to maximize efficiency (and happiness, quite frankly).

The same goes for safety -- you talk a lot about your survival background, but quite frankly you should be worried about not destroying your Prius that you "hammer on rocks" to get to/from a trailhead (especially since you're going for more remote peaks). The best survival strategy is to avoid being in a survival situation in the first place. Your partners need to be in great shape, but not once did you mention routefinding ability or experience as an important qualifier. I'd rather hike something dangerous with someone who's a little slow/overweight, but has great judgment and skill, than with a really fit guy/girl who has no idea what they're doing.

I've hiked over half the peaks on your 2021 list, and I've gotten up before 4AM for some of them too :lol: . I don't think you're looking at this the right way. Good luck out there, and stay safe.
I wish you realized who you were talking to. I have more skills than you realize. I am almost a professional climber, and was a guide for 8 years.
Rangerguy is back, and he has now CRUSHED Bierstadt
The Sawtooth Ridge to Evans was pretty sweet. I hear what you are saying. Of course route finding is important especially when the fog drops on you unexpectedly. You cannot see it all coming your way all the time, and weather reports can be meh.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm I should’ve had a drink or two before reading this. I love y’all
I thought you were drinking already? Typed like you were anyways...
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm
CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm I should’ve had a drink or two before reading this. I love y’all
Keep up the good vibes!! It’s people like you that make the world a better place :)
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 pm
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm
Keep up the good vibes!! It’s people like you that make the world a better place :)
But i am not trying to entertain all of you...darn!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51 49 1
13ers: 28 21
Trip Reports (20)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Where did you go to school in RI? I love me some good hot weiners, I went to RIC and worked at the Projo from 92-98. Also, knowing you went to school in RI explains most of your posts, ha ha ha aaaaaah ha
ker0uac

Post by ker0uac »

Ahh you are a masshole. I bet you spent your summers in Misquamicut
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm Ahh you are a masshole. I bet you spent your summers in Misquamicut
NO. That would refer someone that grew up or lived in MA for awhile. I lived in The Berkshires for 2 years, but never became a Masshole. Moved to DC in 2005 and worked as a contractor for the government.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Okay all. I am going to bed. Got to get up at 5am and climb the local crag in the snow tomorrow morning. Training in the snow is essential for those huge 14ers i will be doing.
CaptCO
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 pm Okay all. I am going to bed. Got to get up at 5am and climb the local crag in the snow tomorrow morning. Training in the snow is essential for those huge 14ers i will be doing.
You’re not getting off that easy, pal. Your attention will now be to check this thread every 15min until you fall asleep 😈

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
cougar
14ers: 50 2
13ers: 109 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

1606007832772.jpg
1606007832772.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 497 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"