Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58 12 42
13ers: 228 18 16

Re: Summer 2021 Partner for Harder or Desolate Peaks

Post by Wildernessjane »

Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm
Will_E wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:41 pm

That's fine. sometimes i see those guys. I am done in 6 hours, you probably 3 or 4 hours. When i did Sunshine, Red Cloud and Handies in a day, (20) miles, it took me 12 hours
Rats, I was gonna apply. But when I did Sunshine, Redcloud and Handies in a day it took me 7:45. Guess my pace wouldn’t work.
No..too fast. I got a knee issue and a broken neck. Nice Stats if they are true. I walked with a 35 pound pack and took a 2 hour break in between Sunshine/Red Cloud and Handies. Still did it in 12 hours though. I got hammered by a storm on my way to Sunshine.
A 35 lbs pack for Sunshine/Red Cloud and Handies? Okay so I have to ask...what the heck did you have in your pack? I hauled a 38-40 lbs pack up and over on Rainier but that included technical gear and overnight equipment and such. I would definitely not consider myself to be in the “ultralight” camp but a 35 lbs pack for a day hike? I’m not sure I could hit that mark if I tried, even in winter. Good luck with your recruitment efforts. Nice debut on the forum.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
jfm3
14ers: 49
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (7)

Post by jfm3 »

I'll give him this: he can talk himself up. Based on 10 pages of nonsense this guy is a combination of the CrossFit Games, Reinhold Messner and the Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I would legit show up for tryouts. No cap.

I feel like I've done dumber things for lamer rewards. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

What would the tryout consist of?
-start at 3am, since real wheels-up is 4am, gotta prove you can beat that
--But the actual unannounced start time was the night before, when you have to do shots and steaks. Train like you fight.
-hill climb sprints with 65 lb pack
-rope climb with knot tying eval at the top (one handed, obvs)
-A technical baking challenge administered by Paul Hollywood himself
-Survival challenge hosted by Bear Grylls or Joe Rogan
-Marathon
-Whittle a harmonica from deadfall. First to play Battle Hymn of the Republic
-Geography quiz
-Ice Bath submersion while playing checkers
-Dexterity eval by needlepoint/cross-stitch
-Cook 16 oz steak over a candle, extra points to get interior temp to 130F
-Bourbon sampling, must score over 75% accuracy
-End Exercise, prepare outbrief, await results
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

No cap!!!
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Wildernessjane wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 pm
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm
Will_E wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Rats, I was gonna apply. But when I did Sunshine, Redcloud and Handies in a day it took me 7:45. Guess my pace wouldn’t work.
No..too fast. I got a knee issue and a broken neck. Nice Stats if they are true. I walked with a 35 pound pack and took a 2 hour break in between Sunshine/Red Cloud and Handies. Still did it in 12 hours though. I got hammered by a storm on my way to Sunshine.
A 35 lbs pack for Sunshine/Red Cloud and Handies? Okay so I have to ask...what the heck did you have in your pack? I hauled a 38-40 lbs pack up and over on Rainier but that included technical gear and overnight equipment and such. I would definitely not consider myself to be in the “ultralight” camp but a 35 lbs pack for a day hike? I’m not sure I could hit that mark if I tried, even in winter. Good luck with your recruitment efforts. Nice debut on the forum.
I carry all the essential gear needed to bivouac overnight if needed, if hurt, or if someone else needs attention. I am a nurse after all is said and done. Yes. Most are in fact day hikes, but i am training for something bigger than 14ers. Has anyone even thought that i might be training for something bigger?
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

jfm3 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm I'll give him this: he can talk himself up. Based on 10 pages of nonsense this guy is a combination of the CrossFit Games, Reinhold Messner and the Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World.
My intention was to make this a fun process. I am both half serious and half joking. It's been fun watching the serious guys poke at my experience and the not so serious guys clown me. I am glad everyone has had a good laugh. I sure have had one. I enjoyed all the comments and appreciate the concerns. I was not trying to use this for my amusement. I am trying to find a few people to do a couple trips and have fun.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58 47
13ers: 321 16
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Jbroscious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:28 am
I carry all the essential gear needed to bivouac overnight if needed, if hurt, or if someone else needs attention. I am a nurse after all is said and done. Yes. Most are in fact day hikes, but i am training for something bigger than 14ers. Has anyone even thought that i might be training for something bigger?
Oh please, oh please, oh please let this lead to a FA of Olympus Mons via some cool Elon Musk spacecraft today! Admittedly, I’ve not tried it, but maybe the 35 lb pack isn’t so heavy up in space?
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

bmcqueen wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 am
Jbroscious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:28 am
Oh please, oh please, oh please let this lead to a FA of Olympus Mons via some cool Elon Musk spacecraft today! Admittedly, I’ve not tried it, but maybe the 35 lb pack isn’t so heavy up in space?
It can get heavy after a long day of hiking and climbing. You mean to say you can just shrug off a 10-12 hour day like it was nothing? The hikes and climbs i plan to do now are longer and harder than in years past. 17 mile days can be a good workout when done consecutively over the course of a week. Eventually you get tired. You get more tired from shitty sleep than anything.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 pm
Jbroscious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 pm It's my post and I will govern it how i want it to be. I also like to chill and have fun. After the hike i usually fire up a 20 oz. steak and drink a 6'er below the 14'er.
I've retired from hiking 14ers because 12ersRule doesn't do repeats, unless they're great 12ers. However, I'm in for the after party. The clods I hike with don't party at all any more.

I don't eat cow any more, so if you can deal with plant based meat, that'd be cool.
Of course. I am trying to eat and smoke as much plant as possible myself.
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Snow_Dog_frassati wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm *Casually sips coffee like the pretentious ass I am*

This is becoming a very interesting thread and a case study in heuristics/cognative biases lol.
Exactly. Why think to hard about things, especially in the mountains?
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

Matt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:24 pm Is this a test of how welcoming this forum is to newcomers?

Seriously, I'm in the same age bracket as OP and was never considered a fast hiker--average at best.
I usually had more beer at camp the night before than I should have and stayed up too late listening to Coast to Coast AM.
I was successful on 56/58 of the 14ers on my first try and started before 5am maybe five times. The two I missed were because of injury or gear failure.

I think OP's rigidity and stated standards reflect more on past experiences than any potential partner. We all want to meet our goals but if the goal is to have a partner, IDK about that post.

I wish him good luck, successful summits, and recommend a different approach to finding partners if using online dating sites.
You Couldn't be more wrong. I am not treating this like a dating site. Only a lonely man would say that. Are you lonely sir?
Jbroscious

Post by Jbroscious »

speth wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm
ker0uac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:32 pm
jfm3 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Who ARE we talking to? Who are you? If you have all these qualifications and all this experience, there may well be someone on this forum who has had some first or second-hand knowledge of you. Not sure the Man vs. Wild ethos is necessary for a stroll up the 'harder and desolate' Mt. Sherman.
Mountaineering is a hobby (or sport depending on our POV) that exists outside of Colorado as well. There are lots of elite mountaineers who have never touched a 14er or 13er in their lives. In fact, some of the greatest mountaineers I have met in my life never attempted to conquer the 14ers.
Went to a CMC talk I believe in 2012 with Ed Viesturs, and he did a QA at the end. Someone asked if he had ever "conquered a Colorado 14er" and he literally laughed at them, one of my favorite Colorado memories overall.
What about technical climbing on the Diamond on Long's Peak or The Swiss Arete on Mt. Sill? There are many more. So i laugh at you and that Jackass. So i guess Peter Croft is a wuzy compared to Ed Viesturs? Ed Viesturs is a one dimensional climber at best.

https://mojagear.com/whats-in-your-pack-peter-croft/