Bierstadt 4/2

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Bierstadt 4/2

Post by CaptCO » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am

Time to get back into it slowly but surely. If anyone wants to tag along and play near guanella let me know. I’ll give you some snow hiking tips if you’re new to snowshoeing/axe use if possible. I’d love to help get someone their first snowy summit!
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
jakethesnake_630
14ers: List not added

Re: Bierstadt 4/2

Post by jakethesnake_630 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:43 am

I missed this. You still hitting Bierstadt today? I'm planning on skiing the west slopes tomorrow if you bail today. Stupid work obligations... :(

Jake
STRAVA

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:32 am

Yeah I slept in today so I’ll probably end up somewhere a bit easier

Update: probably just gonna head to zapata falls this evening and tag California peak tomorrow. Welcome to join but not sure if there’s much to ski

Alec
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Shane_R
14ers: 10

Post by Shane_R » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Just curious - how does this work with the Guanella Pass road closed for winter? Do you start from the Guanella Pass Campground?

I'm keen to get some snow experience but might wait for Bierstadt until I can (safely) do the combo with Evans.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58 3
13ers: 111 1 15
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Sbenfield » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Shane_R wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Just curious - how does this work with the Guanella Pass road closed for winter? Do you start from the Guanella Pass Campground?

I'm keen to get some snow experience but might wait for Bierstadt until I can (safely) do the combo with Evans.
Hey Shane the road is closed at about 1.5 miles from the summer TH in winter
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 76 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Shane_R wrote:

The closure on the north side is near the campground and the road up to silver dollar lakes. You can hike from either side of the pass from the closure: Georgetown/i70 to the north or grant/us285 to the south. North side is a bit shorter, and a lot more used so it's fairly packed down. I did it in early 2020 and it was a breeze.
shelly+
14ers: 32 3

Post by shelly+ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:01 pm

Ptglhs wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:48 pm
Shane_R wrote:

The closure on the north side is near the campground and the road up to silver dollar lakes. You can hike from either side of the pass from the closure: Georgetown/i70 to the north or grant/us285 to the south. North side is a bit shorter, and a lot more used so it's fairly packed down. I did it in early 2020 and it was a breeze.
I had looked at doing it from the south, since starting from the north added four total hours to the drive. The closure is something like 5 or 6 miles, adding at least 10 miles RT to the route. And most likely not very tracked. I mention it because I had to make inquiries to find out how far it is from that direction.
astromuni
14ers: 1

Post by astromuni » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am

Dumb questions about 14ers and avy risk.

Is there any avalanche risk along the Bierstadt route? And how does avy risk evolve into late Spring? Are slides possible in April? In May?

I'd love to try Bierstadt in April, and perhaps a couple of other of the easier 14ers. But I don't know the first thing about snow slides.
jakethesnake_630

Post by jakethesnake_630 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 pm

astromuni wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am

Is there any avalanche risk along the Bierstadt route? And how does avy risk evolve into late Spring? Are slides possible in April? In May?

I'd love to try Bierstadt in April, and perhaps a couple of other of the easier 14ers. But I don't know the first thing about snow slides.
Bierstadt West Slope (standard route from Guanella Pass) is < 30 degree slope angle along the entire route. Almost* no avy danger (never 100%). April/May is a great time to do this route. As the spring moves on & temps rise, theoretically the snow pack should continue consolidating & becoming safer, however this is not absolute and this week's incoming storm, for example, will create variability in the snowpack and with it new issues. However, as stated before, this is not really a concern on Bierstadt.

Check out CalTopo for slope angle maps. Anything less than 30 degrees (which will NOT be shaded on their maps) is relatively safe.

** standard disclaimer that I am not an AIERE instructor & you must travel at your own risk **
STRAVA

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre
+Gravy
13ers: 1

Post by +Gravy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:38 pm

astromuni wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am

You can also see slope angles right here on 14ers. Go to the peak of interest, click on the "GMap" or "Google map" tab inside the 14er page for that peak, then click the layers icon, then check the box that says "Slope Angles". CAIC teaches that greater than 30 = risk of slide.

Also, go to CAIC's website and click Forecast, then the range you are considering. It will tell you which aspects (corresponding to cardinal directions) of the mountains have what levels and kinds of avalanche risk on a day by day basis.