Gannett, Granite, Borah

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 75 3
Trip Reports (2)

Gannett, Granite, Borah

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 am

Looking for partners for the state high points of WY, MT, and ID. I can solo the lower 2 but don't feel comfortable doing Gannett without at least one other. Trying to leave the week of the 28th of June for good consolidated snow conditions.

Tentative plans:
Day 1 drive to Dubois area
Day 2/3 hike into Glacier trail approach on Gannett (also open to swinging to the north and tagging Downs Mountain as well, probably add an extra day)
Day 4 summit
Day 5/6 hike out
Day 7 drive to Cooke city area
Day 8/9/10 hike in, camp out, and summit Granite via Southwest ramp route
Day 11 drive to Challis area
Day 12 Borah peak
Day 13 drive home

Obviously this is weather dependent, with extra days built in in case we have to wait something out, or need additional rest or acclimatization time. If you're interested in any or all of these peaks please send a PM.
Jorts
14ers: 21 3 1
13ers: 59 12 5
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Gannett, Granite, Borah

Post by Jorts » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Why are you going up Gannett via Glacier? Seems Wells/Tourist Creek is more efficient. Or alternatively, from Pinedale into Titcomb. Pinedale is a funner town than Dubois.

Speaking from experience, the slog along Glacier is long and rather monotonous.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring
stoopdude
14ers: 57 3
13ers: 33

Post by stoopdude » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Jorts wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:02 pm
Why are you going up Gannett via Glacier? Seems Wells/Tourist Creek is more efficient. Or alternatively, from Pinedale into Titcomb. Pinedale is a funner town than Dubois.

I've only ever heard that Tourist Creek is miserable because of all the talus hopping. Via Titcomb requires up and over Bonny Pass. Glacier seems like a reasonable choice for people (like me) who don't want to deal with either of those other things.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58 12 42
13ers: 226 18 16

Post by Wildernessjane » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:18 pm

stoopdude wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm
Jorts wrote:

I've only ever heard that Tourist Creek is miserable because of all the talus hopping. Via Titcomb requires up and over Bonny Pass. Glacier seems like a reasonable choice for people (like me) who don't want to deal with either of those other things.
We ended up doing Gannett from Glacier due to timing and conditions. Yeah it was longer but I wouldn’t call it monotonous at all. The mountain is in your face for much longer on the pack in. When going in from Titcomb Basin you don’t see it until summit day. Summit day can also be made much shorter from the Glacier side, which might be a factor for some.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pbakwin
14ers: 56
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (18)

Post by pbakwin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 pm

IDK if Jorts is speaking from personal experience, but I have been up both Wells & Tourist. Wells is certainly the shortest, most direct route on Gannett, but it requires a short (70 feet?) section of technical rock climbing, about 5.7. Tourist is only slightly longer, but requires tons of very strenuous boulder hopping. These are good in-a-day routes, but I don't think they would be good routes with a backpack.

Edit: BTW, the mosquitos are HORRIFIC in the Winds before about early August, when the frost gets them. I imagine late June would be awful.
stoopdude

Post by stoopdude » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 pm

The one I’m really interested in here is Granite SW ramps. I know globreal has a great TR on this site. I’ve read everything from “it’s easy class 3” to “it’s a death trap, don’t do it.” Anyone who’s been there know of a Colorado peak it’s comparable to?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 49 4
13ers: 95 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LetsGoMets » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm

stoopdude wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 pm
The one I’m really interested in here is Granite SW ramps. I know globreal has a great TR on this site. I’ve read everything from “it’s easy class 3” to “it’s a death trap, don’t do it.” Anyone who’s been there know of a Colorado peak it’s comparable to?

I thought the SW ramp was “tougher” (combination or loose rock, exposure and a handful of climbing moves) than any 14er (and maybe 13er) I’ve been on thus far. We bailed 100 feet or so from the top of the ramp at the last crux move because my partner wasn’t comfortable with the down climb off it. Great route though and will be back.
Instagram: @bsodaro86
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58 3
13ers: 193 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:01 pm

I really enjoyed the SW Ramp route. By camping up near the end of the lake-filled drainage, you leave yourself a short summit day. I didn't think the route was terribly difficult, either in terms of route-finding or the terrain itself. I've definitely done worse on a number of Colorado summits, including harder 14ers like Mt. Wilson, Little Bear, Maroon Bells, etc. I would call the route "easy class 3", but my partner and I were lucky to have the ramp all to ourselves. If it is crowded with other climbers, the danger factor from rock fall definitely goes up. From a terrain perspective, I felt it might be similar to Sneffels, Challenger/Kit Carson, or maybe Blanca/Ellingwood. The long backpack in on Day 1 was what I found most tiring and grueling.

I'm interested in Gannett this summer as well. I was thinking about a late summer attempt up Tourist Creek. Undecided on where exactly to camp (I won't do the whole thing as a day trip), as I've heard the boulder terrain would be horrible with an overnight pack. Maybe just take the heavy pack to the end of the trail, camp there, and then go from trail's end to summit and back to trail's end on summit day, leaving a short hike out the trail on the last day. Not sure yet about it - still researching, but I didn't want to do the standard routes and hike 2 days in/out only to discover that the bergshrund/snow bridge conditions are no good and have to abort.
stoopdude

Post by stoopdude » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Thanks Scott and Brian. I appreciate the info. Sounds like the objective dangers like rockfall are the real variable there.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 75 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 pm

Jorts wrote:

Less talus hopping, higher camp before summit bid, and easier/shorter summit day. I am well aware the mosquitos will be bad the 1st day amd a half: long sleeves and spray and probably a buff. Even though I lived in Wyoming for 20 years I haven't spent much time in the Winds. I don't mind an extra 8 miles there.
wineguy
14ers: 58 3
13ers: 93
Trip Reports (6)

Post by wineguy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:01 pm

I did Gannett via the Glacier trail with RobertKay and recommend it. It's long, but for me, cruising along an easy trail is less exhausting both physically and emotionally than a route that requires bush-whacking and/or route-finding. To each, his own. There were mosquitos at low elevations, so a mosquito net was handy. TR here: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=13928
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58 2 5
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:24 am

I've done all three. I'm hesitant to post on the forum so pm me to discuss further.

Tourist creek for gannet is the fastest. We did it in 1 night. Go ultralight. Hardest peak I've encountered.

Granite SW ridge is a cake walk. I have a video my partner made if you want to see that section of the route.

Borah was just an elevation gain workout. C.O.R is similar to kelso ridge. Maybe a bit more exposure, easiest of the 3.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa