Grays/Torreys/Kelso Guide needed - August

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hilliardsam
14ers: List not added

Grays/Torreys/Kelso Guide needed - August

Post by Hilliardsam » Mon May 03, 2021 7:43 am

Lovely 14ers crew!

August 8-14 I will be staying in Silverthorne and continuing my 14ers journey. Weather permitting, I was hoping to knock out Grays and Torreys via Kelso Ridge mid-week (ideally, Weds 8/11 if weather holds up). I have ample hiking and altitude experience, just not with class 3. As such, I do not want to attempt this by myself. Would love it if anyone was available that would like to hike with me / guide me along the Kelso portion. Summit beer(s) on me.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 17 2
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Grays/Torreys/Kelso Guide needed - August

Post by Alpinefroggy » Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm

check the fb group for 14ers.

There is a guy who is doing guided trips on kelseo and he might still have some spots open for that time frame.
jmanner
14ers: 58 26 10
13ers: 44 10 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner » Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Alpinefroggy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm

There is a guy who is doing guided trips on kelseo and he might still have some spots open for that time frame.
Don’t you need a permit from the forest service for guiding; also come on no one needs a guide for those three.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 17 2
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy » Mon May 03, 2021 1:42 pm

jmanner wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Alpinefroggy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Don’t you need a permit from the forest service for guiding; also come on no one needs a guide for those three.
I think you do. It seems to be a more informal situation.

Personally I think if this person found a partner to do it or did sawtooth first it would be better. I did kelseo solo and I was fine.
Hilliardsam

Post by Hilliardsam » Tue May 04, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks, All. Mostly want a guide for route finding or so I don't cliff myself out somewhere.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58
13ers: 82 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Tue May 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Hilliardsam wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:25 pm
Mostly want a guide for route finding or so I don't cliff myself out somewhere.
If you come to something you don't think you can climb down, go back the way you came. It's frustrating, but works well.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtree

Post by mtree » Wed May 05, 2021 9:14 am

No harm in asking for assistance if your experience or confidence level isn't up to snuff with your ambition. Its not worth messing up and regretting it later. I've known more than a few hikers who attempted and failed the Kelso route due to inexperience. And a few who ended up with adventures they never bargained for.

Check back in late July or early August. I'm sure there are plenty of folks climbing the route who would be fine with some company. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28 1
13ers: 18 1

Post by teamdonkey » Wed May 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Hilliardsam wrote:
Thanks, All. Mostly want a guide for route finding or so I don't cliff myself out somewhere.
As 14'er routes go it isn't incredibly popular, but in early August there should be a fair number of people. Enough that route finding isn't a huge issue. When in doubt, do what the people in front of you did.
Salient

Post by Salient » Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Hilliardsam wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:43 am
Lovely 14ers crew!

August 8-14 I will be staying in Silverthorne and continuing my 14ers journey. Weather permitting, I was hoping to knock out Grays and Torreys via Kelso Ridge mid-week (ideally, Weds 8/11 if weather holds up). I have ample hiking and altitude experience, just not with class 3. As such, I do not want to attempt this by myself. Would love it if anyone was available that would like to hike with me / guide me along the Kelso portion. Summit beer(s) on me.
I mean at least you're honest about using your partner as a guide :^)
habaceeba
14ers: 22
13ers: 71 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by habaceeba » Wed May 05, 2021 2:04 pm

teamdonkey wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:24 pm
Hilliardsam wrote:
As 14'er routes go it isn't incredibly popular, but in early August there should be a fair number of people. Enough that route finding isn't a huge issue. When in doubt, do what the people in front of you did.
No disrespect here, and you could probably get away with that on Kelso, but monkey see monkey do is generally not good advice.

To the OP, maybe come back closer to go time and refrain from using the word 'guide'. Just let folks know that you're a noob to class 3 and you shouldn't have any trouble finding a partner.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 38 1 1
13ers: 128 6 2

Post by 9patrickmurphy » Wed May 05, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm sure you'll be able to find a partner once the time comes. Locals typically don't plan out hikes more than a couple weeks in advance, so check back when your trip comes closer. Finding partners on here or the fb group is pretty easy, even midweek. When you use the term "guide", people tend to think of a paid professional who charges for their services. I've heard of people hiring guides for serious technical routes where you need someone you can really depend on. Kelso Ridge isn't that. If you're looking to gain some experience, just make sure to go with someone who has either done it before or who has good routefinding experience, but this is not a route I would advise anyone hire a guide for.
4thPlaceAtFieldDay
14ers: 58 1 15
13ers: 175 5 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by 4thPlaceAtFieldDay » Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm

The word "guide" opens a whole Pandora's box of liability if you were to get injured. I'm sure you mean it in a casual context here, but like other's have said, reach out closer to the date of you climb, and use the word "partner", and you shouldn't have trouble finding someone to go with.
Formerly Lemmiwinks

“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer