Pyramid, Bells Sunday June 20 Monday June 21

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
58 or bust
14ers: 42
13ers: 1

Pyramid, Bells Sunday June 20 Monday June 21

Post by 58 or bust »

We have a parking pass for Maroon Bells from Sunday June 20 am to Monday June 20 evening. Open to a few more joining our group. Will leave Denver area early early Sunday morning and return Monday evening. Camping 2 miles from parking lot Sunday night. Hoping if all goes well to get Pyramid Sunday and Monday open to Maroon Peak / possible Travers conditions pending. Some in group will not do the traverse but only S Maroon. Have class 3/4 experience. If interested message me back! Matt
NatDog
14ers: 46
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pyramid, Bells Sunday June 20 Monday June 21

Post by NatDog »

I would be interested in joining for Pyramid on Sunday.
macg91
14ers: 52

Post by macg91 »

Any idea how much snow is on the standard routes of those peaks currently?
cklaiber

Post by cklaiber »

Hey guys,
I summitted Pyramid Peak with a buddy this past Sunday, June 13th. Summer conditions up to and past the amphitheater, in the morning we took the snow in the shaded amp. which was solid up towards the climb towards the ridge. At about a quarter of the way up towards the ridge, we continued on rock for most of the route. There were still two main snow fields that required at least micro-spikes (and an ice axe if you are someone with my comfort level) and some of the gully crossings with snow needed them as well. Otherwise for the upper section of the route you can avoid the snow and the technical sections are free of it. On the way out, we avoided the snow in the amphitheater due to warming conditions.
Hope this helps with your planning, and enjoy the peak. It was a tougher one for me for sure!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 209 29
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

cklaiber wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 am Hey guys,
I summitted Pyramid Peak with a buddy this past Sunday, June 13th. Summer conditions up to and past the amphitheater, in the morning we took the snow in the shaded amp. which was solid up towards the climb towards the ridge. At about a quarter of the way up towards the ridge, we continued on rock for most of the route. There were still two main snow fields that required at least micro-spikes (and an ice axe if you are someone with my comfort level) and some of the gully crossings with snow needed them as well. Otherwise for the upper section of the route you can avoid the snow and the technical sections are free of it. On the way out, we avoided the snow in the amphitheater due to warming conditions.
Hope this helps with your planning, and enjoy the peak. It was a tougher one for me for sure!
If you were a group of two that summitted around 9 a.m. on Sunday I have your picture (low quality zoom from Thunder Pyramid). Let me know if it was you and you are interested in the picture!
Tornadoman
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

S. Maroon.jpg
S. Maroon.jpg (194.21 KiB) Viewed 608 times
In case this helps.... This is the lower part of the Maroon climbers trail (AKA. 2800 feet of suck) as of Sunday. You can see at least one place the trail was crossing a steep snowfield at that point.
cklaiber

Post by cklaiber »

If you were a group of two that summitted around 9 a.m. on Sunday I have your picture (low quality zoom from Thunder Pyramid). Let me know if it was you and you are interested in the picture!
[/quote]

At tornadoman, that would be amazing. I believe we saw you as well. Were you summitting around the same time on that peak to the south??
Tornadoman
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

cklaiber wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am If you were a group of two that summitted around 9 a.m. on Sunday I have your picture (low quality zoom from Thunder Pyramid). Let me know if it was you and you are interested in the picture!
At tornadoman, that would be amazing. I believe we saw you as well. Were you summitting around the same time on that peak to the south??
[/quote]

I just sent it to you via Private Message. Yes, we were on the next peak south on the ridge "Thunder Pyramid".
jtschlafer
14ers: List not added

Post by jtschlafer »

How did the parking permit go? Just show the printout an move along? I have a reservation I am thinking of giving to someone else, but its under my name - do you think that would be an issue? Thanks!
Cygnus X1
14ers: 29 1
13ers: 15

Post by Cygnus X1 »

jtschlafer wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:39 am How did the parking permit go? Just show the printout an move along? I have a reservation I am thinking of giving to someone else, but its under my name - do you think that would be an issue? Thanks!
We checked with the Aspen Chamber and the permits are transferable.