Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Post by SkaredShtles »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:37 am
stephakett wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:13 am
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am if dogs and humans are required to pack out their poop (and usually do), why not horses? i've heard all the excuses: horse poop doesn't smell (uh, yeah, it does... maybe it doesn't smell to you because you're around it all the time, but the rest of us can definitely smell it). horses don't eat meat, so it doesn't have pathogens in it (does that mean vegans can poop wherever they want and just leave it there too?). it decays eventually and just leaves a pile of straw (unless it somehow magically decays in the time between when your horse poops it and when i come through a few hours later and step in it, i don't want to hear it).
because horse manure does not damage the environment- it is not hazardous or toxic and decays/decomposes/goes away in 2 weeks. horses don't eat diets rich with preservatives (like humans and dogs) so it is not detrimental to anyone- in fact, it's beneficial for birds, game foul, and insects (in reasonable amounts). walk/run/hike around. it's really not a big deal... what's next? "ranchers need to clean up the cow pies!!!"?
ok, so if i eat a natural, vegan, non-preservative-filled diet, i get to poop wherever i want and leave it behind too. got it.

trails are meant for walking on, not pooping on. i dont' care what happens to the poop in 2 weeks. i care what happens to it when it's stuck to the bottom of my shoes for miles. plus, it's smelly and unsightly. no one wants to go for a hike or run amid giant piles of poop. it's pure selfishness and/or laziness on the part of horse owners who don't want to clean up after themselves and then make up excuses for their laziness and selfishness like "it's good for the environment." it's just as good for the environment if you shove it off the trail, or if you carry it out and use it to compost or fertilize your garden, and then everyone else doesn't have to suffer for it.

there are some communities in PA now that have started to finally make the amish attach poop-catchers to the back of their horses before they are allowed to go on the roads. we need to start enforcing that on trails too.
I'm with this guy. It's high time horse owners take responsibility and quit allowing trails to be shat upon.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

^^^ yup

Leave no trace applies to all trail users and has no leeway on the "no trace" part. Equestrians making exceptions for themselves is horseshit.
Make wilderness less accessible.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Dave B wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:26 pm <snip> Equestrians making exceptions for themselves is horseshit.
GODAMMIT. Just *had* to ruin the thought with that bulls**t, didntchya???

:evil: :mrgreen: