Mountain movies/documentaries

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mountain movies/documentaries

Post by jaymz »

I'm always seeing the Aerial America series on the channel guide, but we don't get the Smithsonian channel. It looks like something I could waste a lot of time watching, might have to buckle down and buy it on Amazon one of these days.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

The Beckoning Silence by Joe Simpson. It used to be free on youtube. Its about an attempt on the North Face of the Eiger. Its probably the best in the genre in my opinion. Here's a low quality youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wAvs7bUb0

Edit, that's not the full film.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

jibler wrote:I like the TV series "Aerial America" just to get a solid dose of outdoors shots.

Western states only obviously.
I obviously disagree 100% on the last sentence. Smithsonian channel also runs Aerial Ireland, New Zealand and Africa. One thing I love about these is they after show beauty in area I had not given much thought about previously, especially Africa. How many people know there is an eastern Colorado (and I do not mean Denver) ?
Best Regards
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

+1 for The Dawn Wall. See it on the big screen if you can!
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

tjmartn1 wrote:"The Art Of Freedom", about Polish climbers including Jerzy Kukuzka, is on Amazon Prime. One of the most badass climbers of all time and hardly anybody knows about him.
Hardly anybody knows about Jerzy Kukuczka? The 2nd climber to notch the 14 8,000m peaks? It was a tight race to finish until Messner climbed 2 back to back unheard of then. Kukuczka had 4 first winter ascents of 8 thousanders and several other firsts. Climbing books are full of stories about him and other badass Poles.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

JChitwood wrote:
tjmartn1 wrote:"The Art Of Freedom", about Polish climbers including Jerzy Kukuzka, is on Amazon Prime. One of the most badass climbers of all time and hardly anybody knows about him.
Hardly anybody knows about Jerzy Kukuczka? The 2nd climber to notch the 14 8,000m peaks? It was a tight race to finish until Messner climbed 2 back to back unheard of then. Kukuczka had 4 first winter ascents of 8 thousanders and several other firsts. Climbing books are full of stories about him and other badass Poles.
I didn't say YOU didn't know him. Here's an example: Google Reinhold Messner and you get over two and a half million results. Google Jerzy Kukuczka and you get 339,000.
JChitwood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

No doubt being first counts for a lot. Plus Messner was Italian with a bigger than life personality instead of a reserved Pole. And he's still alive while Kukuczka died 30 years ago. I would guess the Swiss Erhard Loretan who finished 3rd behind them in the eight thousanders race might also generate more Googles than any of the great Polish climbers.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Watch the North Face - its a true story set in 1930's Germany about a race to climb the North face of the Eiger. Politics aside, its a good movie.

If you like vintage Clint Eastwood and a little more Hollywood tone, follow it up with the Eiger Sanction
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I agree, it's a great movie, but it's far from a documentary. I wouldn't put the politics aside - that's a big part of the movie. I also like the part where they ride bikes to the mountain, but that's just me.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Watch the North Face - its a true story set in 1930's Germany about a race to climb the North face of the Eiger.
Keep in mind that "based on a true story" is not the same as a true story. There are a lot of inaccuracies in the movie and it's only loosely based on real events (the inaccuracies are intentional; the movie is meant to be historical fiction, not a true story).

I liked the movie, but it's definitely more Hollywood than documentary.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

JChitwood wrote:

LOL! Just like everyone I go out with knows who the name Walt Blackadar. And Jim Stohlquist, Rob Lesser, Corran Addison, Tao Berman, Eric Jackson... Household names, one and all!
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
JChitwood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

[/quote]LOL! Just like everyone I go out with knows who the name Walt Blackadar. And Jim Stohlquist, Rob Lesser, Corran Addison, Tao Berman, Eric Jackson... Household names, one and all![/quote]

I'd say boaters over 40 or so know most of those guys. I met Tao Berman at an REI presentation years ago, Jim Stohlquist and Eric Jackson many times, and made a pilgrimage to Blackadar's grave at the Pioneer Cemetary in Idaho in 2013 after a day on the Canyon Run. I must admit to not knowing Corran Addison.