Mountain movies/documentaries

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Mountain movies/documentaries

Post by pvnisher »

ltlFish99 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm And they look at you like you need some sort of help when you inquire about any straight skis.
Why do you want to purchase straight skis?
I can understand keeping and using what you've got, especially if you're proficient on them. After all, people ripped huge lines on gear far substandard to what you get from a rental fleet today.

But I found the change to shaped skis in the early 2000s to be nothing but improvement.
And the more recent switch to rocker/rise and wider shapes to be another big step forward.

Last year I bought a pair of old Salomon Scream Xtra hot (with the shiny orange top sheets!) because they were my dream ski when I was younger and I just wanted the nostalgia. I take them out for fun but I don't pretend they're amazing by today's standards. And they're definitely shaped!

Do you find straight skis are better in some way? Genuinely curious.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

180 South...great adventure movie plus good soundtrack!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

vertical limit
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:08 am vertical limit
I love that movie! I know it's badly flawed, utterly ridiculous at times but it's an enjoyable watch.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

desertdog wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:42 am 180 South...great adventure movie plus good soundtrack!
+1
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:33 am
ltlFish99 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm And they look at you like you need some sort of help when you inquire about any straight skis.
Why do you want to purchase straight skis?
I can understand keeping and using what you've got, especially if you're proficient on them. After all, people ripped huge lines on gear far substandard to what you get from a rental fleet today.

But I found the change to shaped skis in the early 2000s to be nothing but improvement.
And the more recent switch to rocker/rise and wider shapes to be another big step forward.

Last year I bought a pair of old Salomon Scream Xtra hot (with the shiny orange top sheets!) because they were my dream ski when I was younger and I just wanted the nostalgia. I take them out for fun but I don't pretend they're amazing by today's standards. And they're definitely shaped!

Do you find straight skis are better in some way? Genuinely curious.
For years, my favorite part of skiing was trying to constantly improve my ability to ski moguls.
Run after run that is all I would do.when there was a foot of powder on top of a mogul run, that was absolutely wonderful. I got really used to the feeling of straight skis.
I can certainly understand and appreciate what shaped skis bring to the sport.
I also think that they have brought a lot off people either into the sport to begin with, or back I to the sport.
out of necessity one time I had to rent skis. All they had were shaped skis. The things turn by themselves, with no effort, and at times no desire on my part to turn them.
They are also short, real short. I was fighting the skis all day, and did not enjoy the experience whatsoever.
I also really enjoy how a long straight skis cut thru powder and am comfortable skiing thru the snow and not so much on top of it.
Therefore, I obtained some OLD straight skis and continue to enjoy myself.

They also entertain other people whom I ride the chair with, as people commonly ask how old they are and if I have had them for the last 25 years etc.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

ltlFish99 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm They also entertain other people whom I ride the chair with,
235 Head downhill skis. The Darth Vader of their days:

head.jpg
head.jpg (141.66 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

if you ever need to kill 30 minutes watch western time by billy yang on you tube

really any of billy yang's videos are worth the watch
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

ltlFish99 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm They also entertain other people whom I ride the chair with, as people commonly ask how old they are and if I have had them for the last 25 years etc.
I just tell 'em that I've spent last 20 or so years under the avalanche debris.
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beas »

LURE wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm if you ever need to kill 30 minutes watch western time by billy yang on you tube

really any of billy yang's videos are worth the watch
"The Gathering" and "The Why" are also phenomenal videos of his. =D>
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

"Dark side of Everest" and "K2, Fatal Altitude". Both can be found on YouTube. I would also suggest "Hyperventilating on the knife edge", if you want to see one of the biggest climbing douches take someone totally not comfortable to Capitol peak.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Gandalf69 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:27 am I would also suggest "Hyperventilating on the knife edge", if you want to see one of the biggest climbing douches take someone totally not comfortable to Capitol peak.
"f**k you Patrick! f**k you! You're the worst best friend ever!"
Hahaha....wow, that poor woman!
Fish eye lens makes it look so much worse too.