Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Uncoolest Find While Hiking

Post by mtree »

Parents pushing their 3-4 year old daughter up the final summit pitch of Quandary...her screaming and crying. Such a happy, healthy, hiking family. All in the name of Facebook, I guess.

Some guy pulling by leash his 3-legged little dog over some boulders on Bierstadt. Dog rolling on its sides exhausted. C'mon, stud. Chicks aren't digging it.

A bunch of guys spitting and tossing pistachio seeds all over the summit. Biodegradable? Yes. When, is the question. Same with orange peels.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Four pages and no mention of the 12 dead cattle that turned Conundrum Hot Springs into meatball stew?

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/conundr ... carcasses/
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

When I hike and see trash, I’ll pick it up and pack it out (when feasible). Most of my hikes/climbs are more remote, so typically it’s stuff that accidentally gets dropped (ex. hiking pole baskets). However, my hikes up Pikes Peak from Crags Campground I came across so many cigarette butts I gave up. It’s not as gross as a dead cow, but way un-cool because it’s intentional. Feel free to pollute your lungs, but don’t trash the trails.
Century Bound, eventually.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Oman wrote:Four pages and no mention of the 12 dead cattle that turned Conundrum Hot Springs into meatball stew?
Well, in fairness, not really the springs themselves, just the little cabin near it. But still gross, yes. :barf:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Wentzl wrote:

But come on, A crow (or perhaps a raven) followed me, watched my need and provided for me. That was pretty cool.
Cool you had that happen!

Corvids are amazing; Crows, ravens, blackbirds, blue jays...really smart critters. If ravens see you messing with a dead one, they've been known to buzz and harass the person doing it.

Both the attachments are highly recommended! The article from the Atlantic is recent and very interesting, on the subject of animal awareness.
corvids are cool.jpg
corvids are cool.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ws/580726/
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
billycox
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billycox »

Corvids are amazing
Yes! I recently read a study where some crows were able to infer whether an object was light or heavy based on the way the object moved in the breeze. Humans can't do that until age 5, and chimpanzees can't do that at all. Then there was another experiment where they painted a small dot onto a magpie's neck where it couldn't see the dot. Then they put a mirror into its cage and when the magpie saw it, it tried to get the dot off. The dang thing understood its own reflection!

Edit- Ha I just noticed the Atlantic article is the same one I read last PM. It has the magpie story.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

mtree wrote: Some guy pulling by leash his 3-legged little dog over some boulders on Bierstadt. Dog rolling on its sides exhausted.
ohhhhh this reminds me of an owner/dog combo i ran into on rainier, the poor thing slip-sliding down the snowfield below the muir hut, leaving a trail of bloody paw smears in its wake, whimpering the whole way. first time i've actually yelled at a dog owner. :evil: ](*,)
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

justiner wrote:
cougar wrote:I was told that if someone is watching you pee, you're not the one with the problem
Who was watching? I was ambushed.

I had to wonder if this is what this guy does for every peak he summits.

Maybe he'll put out a coffee table book, I hear those are popular.
don't give Dr. Jon Kedrowski any new ideas.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

poop. not deer or bear or other wild animal poop (no problem with those), and not human poop (thankfully), but dog poop and my biggest personal peeve, horse poop. it's bad enough on designated horse trails, which are typically wide enough to get around it, but a big steaming pile on a narrow hiking trail where there shouldn't be horses to begin with is not pleasant. i have to clean up after my dog when he poops on the trail, so why don't horse owners have to clean up after theirs? i've heard the excuses: "it's just undigested grass". ok, so if i become a vegetarian i can poop on the trail and leave it there also? i mean, it's just undigested plant matter too. "it doesn't smell as bad as dog/human poop". yeah but what it lacks in smell (a matter of opinion, btw; some of these horse owners have gone smell blind to it) it makes up for in size. it's just as gross to step in it as any other poop and just as hard to scrape off your boots. "it's too big/difficult to pick up and take out". i've seen responsible horse owners with bags to catch the poop. they exist, and if i have to carry bags and personally pick up and carry out my dog's poop, you should be able to buy and attach a bag, let your horse carry out his own poop and deal with the (supposedly clean and nice-smelling) poop at the end of your ride too. and bonus, now you get to take home all that healthy, non-environmentally-destructive, nice smelling manure home and use it on your garden instead!

once while hiking a section of the AT, i came across a bandana lying on the ground. figuring it was just somebody's bandana they dropped, i picked it up before realizing it was covered in yellow stains. apparently some through hiker had lost her pee rag on the trail. pee rags are a good and necessary item for female through hikers, i just wish i hadn't picked someone's up. i had planned to take it back to the trailhead, but when i realized what it was, i hung it off a nearby branch instead and rationalized it by telling myself maybe she'd come back for it.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

There was (and maybe still is) a putrid cattle graveyard right on Flatirons Mesa in Boulder. If you follow the Dowdy Draw Trail up the switchbacks to the intersection of the Flatirons Vista North trail, the boneyard is close by. Go north off-trail along the fence and eventually there is a gully with at least 15 decomposing cattle. Ick. My guess is the ranchers who use the public land didn't want to report the deaths and just dumped them in a semi-hard to find place. I assume the bones are still there.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

dead cows and horses. An animal that big reaaaally stinks
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

In Bandelier about 10 years ago the trail was full of dead cows. They wandered up into the canyon and got stuck there somehow, running out of grazing. I've seen random cows and other carcasses frequently, even a dead eyeless bobcat once, along with bone piles. Usually just the hide and bones remain.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"