Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
you agreed to when joining the forum.
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: 8/17/2018
vondiesel wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:44 pm
Sherman from Iowa Gulch, September 2016. I was in shorts and a t-shirt expecting a warm day. Cold winds were coming down the gully between Sherman and Sheridan, and people coming down told me it was colder with gusts hard enough to nearly knock you over up near the summit. I aborted and learned the lesson to get some hiking pants and other layers. Successfully summited from Fourmile Creek July 2017... wearing pants and a jacket.
Decalibron, July 2019. Got tired (I'm originally from FL, so I claim that as my excuse). My previous 14er hikes had been up and down. I wasn't used to staying above 13k, which is most of the loop, and I just didn't have the lungs for it that day. I got DeCaLi, but skipped Bross. Haven't been back yet, but I'll get it one day. Bross is ugly, but the rest of the Kite Lake area is really pretty so it's worth it for the views.
Sherman is weird like that. I have been 4 times, all in July/August, and 3 of the 4 have featured howling winds and colder than expected temperatures.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
- Posts: 152
- Joined: 8/25/2011
- 14ers:10 1
- 13ers:10 2
- Trip Reports (1)
Mount Evans from Guanella Pass:
First attempt: I had good weather, but I started a bit late. I made it onto the summit ridge, but ran out of time and turned back.
Second attempt: I went with a friend. We took the wrong gully and ended up summiting Mount Spaulding, then a thunderstorm moved in and we headed down.
Third time was the charm. I had good weather and an earlier start than first attempt, and I made it. I had the route to myself until I got close to the summit, then ran into lots of people who drove up.
Mount Powell: Started a bit late (notice a trend here?), I was off route, as I followed the ridge above Kneeknocker Pass when I should have dropped down west side. I think this route goes at class 3, but was definitely slower than standard route. The weather started to deteriorate. I ignored it because I was pretty close, until lightning struck the ridge below me, at which point I finally decided that the summit wasn't worth my life. The storm turned into an all afternoon monsoon soaker, so it ended up being a very wet descent.
I went with a friend the following summer (same friend I climbed Spaulding with). and had good weather and summited via standard route.