Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Post by disentangled »

Curious to hear from those of you who've done any of the Chicago Basin peaks from Purgatory without camping. I've looked at reports from seano (FKT), redheadontherocks (5 peaks), illusion7il (multiple trips), WildWanderer (solo), and thebeave7.

Who else has a story?
brerrabbit
14ers: 57  45 
13ers: 189 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Post by brerrabbit »

I've done 2 trips to Chicago Basin via Purgatory and 4-5 trips to Vestal Basin via Molas Pass which is somewhat similar. The Purgatory daytrip works well when you can make good time on the ~9 mile flattish section, consisting of 4 miles of slight downhill to the Animas then about 5 miles of flattish rollers to the typical train drop site. The worst part is the final mile back to the Purgatory TH which has ~800 feet of uphill. One of my Purgatory daytrips I hit the Animas flattish rollers in the early afternoon and it was very hot since it's fairly low altitude which caused a mild bonk so be ready for that and possibly increase fluids. I've also done some gatorade drops on my way in where I'll hide an 8 oz Gatorade/sports drink to have on the way out. On my Vestal trips I've done two sports drink drops which I found very helpful in preventing bonking. Overall I'd recommend it, particularly if you have some experience with high mileage days.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Im pretty sure Eric Gilbertson did that last June when he got the fkt for all the centennials.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
quackquackcolorado
14ers: 58 
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

This was something I did awhile back to finish my last four 14ers. Would I do it any again or recommend it? Hell no. I think it turned out to be like a 27-hour sufferfest. The only reason why I did it was because I didn't start backpacking yet, so I had to dayhike it to finish the 14ers.

I don't think I would ever pay for the train to visit Chicago Basin, so if I had to do it again, I would do an overnighter to tag all four 14ers.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Personally I liked doing that trip as a multi day trip rather than an endurance-a-thon to get all four and back in one day.

The hike in from Purgatory is nice along the river in Aspen groves and then the areas where you can camp up near the basin are wonderful.

I hear its more crowded these days so maybe that would change my view of camping there, but when I camped for two nights I didn't hear any other peeps (human anyway) either night. I've done many long hikes including Lake Como 14es as day trips, Mt Whitney, Half Dome/Clouds rest combos and they were not bad, but to do Chicago Basin in one shot I think I would not enjoy it and be stressed out the whole time and if you do in one day you are sort of forcing yourself to summit in whatever weather you have on the day, which could be a bad idea or at least miserable. Staying over a night or two gives you more options and enables you to get some rest and enjoy the area back in there, which even if you live nearby isn't easy to get to so if you're gonna do it, do it while maximizing chances of success, which I think is better done over more time without rushing and with proper gear.
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

Soooo mine doesn’t technically count because I camped but I guess it depends on how fast you plan on moving. I was trying to pack in a few things that weekend so I didn’t get to the trailhead until 430 pm. Family dropped me off and went to their hotel room in Durango. I was at Chi Basin just before 9. Set up a hammock and slept until a goat woke me up at 5. Those suckers are really friendly in the basin. Left the basin at about 530, Sunlight-Windom-Eolus-N Eolus and back to the trailhead by 4pm. About 15 hours on the trail, I was, and am, at a 10 year low on fitness but depending on your pace; pretty doable. I would definitely echo the Rabbits comment about staying hydrated, but I’ve always been notoriously bad at that.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Ah, the goats...they woke me up more than once rubbing into my tent. And I met one on the trail at 4am, staring at me. Freaked me out until I knew it was a goat.
ScreeSurfer
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 262
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ScreeSurfer »

Hi Shelly+,

Thought I would share a few trips I have done to climb the 4 Chicago Basin 14ers from Purgatory - the first three involved camping - this past summer was a day trip. I really enjoyed the daytrip and had a perfect weather day. Two nights out is nice and comfortable if doing with shorter days or adding other peaks.

11-14-17
Day1: Drive from Denver in the AM to Purgatory, hike to the Twin Lakes/Columbine Pass trail junction - camp
Day2: Climb N. Eolus, Eolus, Sunlight, Windom - hike out to purgatory - sleep in car
Day3: Drive to Denver

12-29-17
Day1: Drive from Denver in the AM to Purgatory, hike to just short of the basin - camp
Day2: Climb N. Eolus, Eolus, Sunlight, Windom - return to tent
Day3: Hike out to Purgatory - Drive to Denver

9-25-18
Day1: Met partner at Purgatory late afternoon, hiked along Animas until past dark and camped.
Day2: Hike to Chicago Basin - make camp - climb N. Eolus, Eolus, Glacier Pt - return to camp
Day3: Climb Windom, Sunlight, Pk Eleven - tear down camp - return to Purgatory in dark - sleep in car
Day4: Drive back to Denver

8-23-20
Day1: Afternoon drive to Purgatory - sleep in the car
Day2: Day trip N. Eolus, Eolus, Sunlight, Windom - return to Purgatory - sleep in car
Day3: Drive to Denver

I started with two 32oz bottles of Gatorade, and refilled both twice at twin lakes and maybe even another bottle at Twin lakes and one in Needle creek so 8 quarts total, I use iodine tablets for water purification. Had a bluebird day and travelled very light but wore full leather backpacking boots the whole way (I like the support and protection amongst rocks). I had a great day and went car to car in 16:53. Here are some times at landmarks so you know what to expect.

Trailhead 5:17
Animas Bridge 6:30
Needle Creek 8:10
Trail Junction 10:10
Twin Lakes 10:55
Eolus after N.Eolus 12:00
Twin Lakes 1:00
Sunlight 2:10
Windom 3:30
Trail Junction 4:50
Animas Trail 6:37
Animas Bridge 8:30
Trailhead 10:10
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

What’s the stats on it?
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:41 am If you’re on here hit the DM!
It goes down in the DM.
ScreeSurfer
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 262
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ScreeSurfer »

SchralptheGnar
What’s the stats on it?

Roughly 41 miles, 12k vert
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

I think Day Hiking these peaks is an amazing experience and I really enjoy the punishment. I believe Anton brought the FKT down to 8 hours back in 2013, so with an early start, this guy can have it done before Lunch. I've been back there multiple times and have done many big Day Hikes in the Weminuche to get all the Cents and Bi-Cents. What makes it possible is that most of the trail moves quickly all the way up to twin lakes and with plenty of water sources, you don't have to carry that much. Just make sure you are well conditioned and know that your body can handle the 40 miles and 11K elevation gain. I actually did a R2R2R the spring prior to going for this the first time as a test piece, but a Chicago Basin day hike is defiantly more difficult and stressful on the body. Keys to success are to go on a clear weather day, Know your route, Fuel, Hydrate, Fuel and Hydrate. A fast hiker, no running, no jogging and short breaks should plan on about 24 hours. Your time may vary...

I always wondered what it would be like to get all 5 (Jupiter), so last summer when Lauren (redheadontherocks) was working her way through the 14ers we decided to go for it, starting with the Eolus's and worked our way around to Jupiter. We tracked around 43 miles and 13K gain and completed in 23 hours. Not claiming a first, but I had never heard of anyone going back there and getting all 5 in a day. It it was a pretty cool experience standing on Jupiter at 7pm knowing that it's a 17 mile slog back to the car.
Here is the report she put together: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20777