Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Pooping Outside: What it Takes

Post by nyker »

The worst I've seen was when someone in front of us left a big dump right in the middle of the trail, when there were plenty of trees and rocks to go hide behind.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Stop using TP, get a personal bidet.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

nyker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 pm The worst I've seen was when someone in front of us left a big dump right in the middle of the trail, when there were plenty of trees and rocks to go hide behind.
when you gotta go, you gotta go!

this is why i hate running on horse trails, all the poop piles sitting around in the middle of the trails. one of my personal pet peeves, if dogs and humans are required to pack out their poop (and usually do), why not horses? i've heard all the excuses: horse poop doesn't smell (uh, yeah, it does... maybe it doesn't smell to you because you're around it all the time, but the rest of us can definitely smell it). horses don't eat meat, so it doesn't have pathogens in it (does that mean vegans can poop wherever they want and just leave it there too?). it decays eventually and just leaves a pile of straw (unless it somehow magically decays in the time between when your horse poops it and when i come through a few hours later and step in it, i don't want to hear it).

for some reason, horse and mule owners seem to be grandfathered in to the privilege of not having to clean up after their animals on trails. somehow that's gotta change.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

gotpow wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:08 pm I'm trying to convert myself to wag bag only, always packing my poop out... It's a big ask for people to do since the idea of packing your poop out is not exactly attractive, but it's really the only way to properly reduce your impact if you truly care about that sort of thing.
Respect.

I don't have much hope for poop bags being widely adopted, though. Anecdotal evidence from places that hand out free bags, like the Flatirons and Mount Whitney, shows that you just end up with (dog or human) poop cooking in non-biodegradable bags instead of poop hidden under rocks. People *really* don't like carrying around bags of feces. The only place they work is in cities, where there are other people around to see you failing to clean up after your dog.

It would probably be more effective to hand out trowels along with overnight permits, like they do with bear cans in some places. Digging a decent cat-hole is a lot easier than carrying around days' worth of poop, and carrying a ziplock bag of used TP isn't so bad.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am
nyker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 pm The worst I've seen was when someone in front of us left a big dump right in the middle of the trail, when there were plenty of trees and rocks to go hide behind.

this is why i hate running on horse trails, all the poop piles sitting around in the middle of the trails. one of my personal pet peeves, if dogs and humans are required to pack out their poop (and usually do), why not horses? i've heard all the excuses: horse poop doesn't smell (uh, yeah, it does... maybe it doesn't smell to you because you're around it all the time, but the rest of us can definitely smell it). horses don't eat meat, so it doesn't have pathogens in it (does that mean vegans can poop wherever they want and just leave it there too?). it decays eventually and just leaves a pile of straw (unless it somehow magically decays in the time between when your horse poops it and when i come through a few hours later and step in it, i don't want to hear it).

for some reason, horse and mule owners seem to be grandfathered in to the privilege of not having to clean up after their animals on trails. somehow that's gotta change.
100% agreed. I haven't been on many trails with horses, but it's definitely strange when a thousand pound behemoth walks by you and drops a huge pile in the middle of the trail and the rider doesn't care at all. At least they could shove it off the path??
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 am On a wag bag related topic: https://www.moabsunnews.com/news/articl ... 1a485.html
Ew.

I always sort of worried about what happened to wag bags after you throw them in the dumpster, and... "cook, expand, and explode all over garbage men" is worse than I could have imagined. Of course, I don't imagine that Moab's insistence that people drive their bags to the transfer station and pay $2/bag to dispose of them will increase adoption.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am if dogs and humans are required to pack out their poop (and usually do), why not horses? i've heard all the excuses: horse poop doesn't smell (uh, yeah, it does... maybe it doesn't smell to you because you're around it all the time, but the rest of us can definitely smell it). horses don't eat meat, so it doesn't have pathogens in it (does that mean vegans can poop wherever they want and just leave it there too?). it decays eventually and just leaves a pile of straw (unless it somehow magically decays in the time between when your horse poops it and when i come through a few hours later and step in it, i don't want to hear it).
because horse manure does not damage the environment- it is not hazardous or toxic and decays/decomposes/goes away in 2 weeks. horses don't eat diets rich with preservatives (like humans and dogs) so it is not detrimental to anyone- in fact, it's beneficial for birds, game foul, and insects (in reasonable amounts). walk/run/hike around. it's really not a big deal... what's next? "ranchers need to clean up the cow pies!!!"?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

SamWerner wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:23 am

100% agreed. I haven't been on many trails with horses, but it's definitely strange when a thousand pound behemoth walks by you and drops a huge pile in the middle of the trail and the rider doesn't care at all. At least they could shove it off the path??

Ugh, yes. Ever walk in Central Park or midtown NYC? The voluminous horse manure is baked into the streets on top of yet older manure and becomes part of the road and stinks terribly for dozens of blocks in any direction especially when its above 50F. The flies it attracts and the overall stench is pretty gross not to mention having it in your shoes and breathing it in while you're eating anywhere nearby or running/biking over it. Yet the owner of a 2lb dog pooping peanut sized poo must clean that up...
I won't comment on places like the Ditch Trail on Capitol...
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

nyker wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:54 am
SamWerner wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:23 am

Ugh, yes. Ever walk in Central Park or midtown NYC? The voluminous horse manure is baked into the streets on top of yet older manure and becomes part of the road and stinks terribly for dozens of blocks in any direction especially when its above 50F. The flies it attracts and the overall stench is pretty gross not to mention having it in your shoes and breathing it in while you're eating anywhere nearby or running/biking over it. Yet the owner of a 2lb dog pooping peanut sized poo must clean that up...
I won't comment on places like the Ditch Trail on Capitol...
NYC??!! I thought you were talking about Leadville.
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

stephakett wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:13 am
timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am if dogs and humans are required to pack out their poop (and usually do), why not horses? i've heard all the excuses: horse poop doesn't smell (uh, yeah, it does... maybe it doesn't smell to you because you're around it all the time, but the rest of us can definitely smell it). horses don't eat meat, so it doesn't have pathogens in it (does that mean vegans can poop wherever they want and just leave it there too?). it decays eventually and just leaves a pile of straw (unless it somehow magically decays in the time between when your horse poops it and when i come through a few hours later and step in it, i don't want to hear it).
because horse manure does not damage the environment- it is not hazardous or toxic and decays/decomposes/goes away in 2 weeks. horses don't eat diets rich with preservatives (like humans and dogs) so it is not detrimental to anyone- in fact, it's beneficial for birds, game foul, and insects (in reasonable amounts). walk/run/hike around. it's really not a big deal... what's next? "ranchers need to clean up the cow pies!!!"?
ok, so if i eat a natural, vegan, non-preservative-filled diet, i get to poop wherever i want and leave it behind too. got it.

trails are meant for walking on, not pooping on. i dont' care what happens to the poop in 2 weeks. i care what happens to it when it's stuck to the bottom of my shoes for miles. plus, it's smelly and unsightly. no one wants to go for a hike or run amid giant piles of poop. it's pure selfishness and/or laziness on the part of horse owners who don't want to clean up after themselves and then make up excuses for their laziness and selfishness like "it's good for the environment." it's just as good for the environment if you shove it off the trail, or if you carry it out and use it to compost or fertilize your garden, and then everyone else doesn't have to suffer for it.

there are some communities in PA now that have started to finally make the amish attach poop-catchers to the back of their horses before they are allowed to go on the roads. we need to start enforcing that on trails too.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

seano wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:07 amPeople *really* don't like carrying around bags of feces.
ironic, because ultimately people *are* just walking bags of feces.