Bear Attack

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Bear Attack

Post by Wentzl »

I am a little surprised that this has not been brought up yet. If I understood the news correctly, this was only the 4th known bear kill in Colorado history. Someone tell me I heard that wrong.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/374534
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Bear Attack

Post by Tornadoman »

The article that I read also stated this was the 4th known bear attack death in Colorado history. Sad story for sure. :(
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I have been following this news. I am curious what the end report/investigation comes out to be. This was tragic.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

My condolences to the victim's family and loved ones. If the investigation determines it was the Mother bear it is a damned shame. Black bears rarely attack and it is quite likely she thought she was protecting her cubs from danger.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

CPW just put out a press release stating that human remains were found in the stomachs of the mother bear and one of the yearlings, but not the other one.
https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/N ... ewsID=7779
Bears don't tend to often eat what they kill in defense, this seems like it may have been a predatory attack.
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

Wentzl wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm If I understood the news correctly, this was only the 4th known bear kill in Colorado history. Someone tell me I heard that wrong.
Tornadoman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:33 pm The article that I read also stated this was the 4th known bear attack death in Colorado history.
There are stories of fatal bear attacks, mostly by grizzlies, in the 1800s into the early 1900s but those are difficult to verify.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

prairiechicken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 pm CPW just put out a press release stating that human remains were found in the stomachs of the mother bear and one of the yearlings, but not the other one.
https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/N ... ewsID=7779
Bears don't tend to often eat what they kill in defense, this seems like it may have been a predatory attack.
It definitely has happened though. And could have easily happened in this case. We need to know more about the two dogs and the entire interaction.
A black bear hunting people is ridiculously rare, then throw in a person with several dogs. We may never know.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

prairiechicken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 pm Bears don't tend to often eat what they kill in defense, this seems like it may have been a predatory attack.
Aren't black bears just opportunistic eaters though? As in, the attack was very likely defensive but then after the kill was made the bears may have just eaten because there was something to eat now in front of them.

Either way, scary and sad.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Actually black bear attacks in defense of cubs, despite the frequent statements about it, are also extremely rare, which makes this tragedy more puzzling.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CoHi591 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:59 pm
prairiechicken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 pm Bears don't tend to often eat what they kill in defense, this seems like it may have been a predatory attack.
Aren't black bears just opportunistic eaters though? As in, the attack was very likely defensive but then after the kill was made the bears may have just eaten because there was something to eat now in front of them.
Black bear attacks are rare, but when a black bear does attack, they are more likely to eat you than grizzlies.

Apparently, the most common fatal attack from a black bear is predatory (random article from Alaska, but mentioning black bear attacks in North America):

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article ... 011/05/11/

Study:

https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley.co ... 02/jwmg.72

Fatalities are etrememly rare though.

In this case though, a mother with cubs was shot so it might be just as you say and was defensive this time

A lot of defensive bear attacks involve dogs and it seems that the victim had dogs, so this may have played a part too.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

What an awful thing to happen. I hope that something like this doesn't happen again anytime soon. I'm assuming that the mother bear felt that her yearlings were threatened by the woman and the dogs and attacked the woman... I just hope that people will take extra caution around bears, they are cool creatures but they can be deadly.
Hiking when possible
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

prairiechicken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:12 pm
Wentzl wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm If I understood the news correctly, this was only the 4th known bear kill in Colorado history. Someone tell me I heard that wrong.
Tornadoman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:33 pm The article that I read also stated this was the 4th known bear attack death in Colorado history.
There are stories of fatal bear attacks, mostly by grizzlies, in the 1800s into the early 1900s but those are difficult to verify.
Very good point! I imagine there were some fatalities due to grizzlies in early Colorado history.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.