Bear Attack

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Bear Attack

Post by Jim Davies »

It's the fourth fatal attack since 1971, according to the press release. A later release now confirms that two of the bears fed on the woman; the autopsy Tuesday might say whether the bears actually killed her. https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/N ... ewsID=7779
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

My neighbors have some amazing trail cam footage from last summer of momma bear, cubs and their dog. You see a cub trot by, then the dog takes off after it. Cub starts running faster and they look to be playing. Momma comes into the picture and she is definitely NOT playing. After a few tense moments the dog ends up getting away (you can hear my neighbors screaming for him to come back), but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where the dog gets caught or cornered, then humans try to step in and end up dead.
Last edited by teamdonkey on Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

teamdonkey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 am My neighbors have some amazing trail cam footage from last summer of momma bear, cubs and their dog. You see a cub trot by, then the dog takes off after it. Cub starts running faster and they look to be playing. Momma comes into the picture and she is definitely NOT playing. After a few tense moments the dog ends up getting away (and you can my neighbors screaming for him to come back), but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where the dog gets caught or cornered, then humans try to step in and end up dead.
I love my dog, but not that much.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Putting those bears down makes less and no sense.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm Putting those bears down makes less and no sense.
Okay, I'll bite (no pun intended). Why? They suspected one or more had killed and eaten a human being. Necropsies verified that they did, indeed, do just that. We don't know what led to the killing (and eating), but I'm thinking if I lived in the Durango area, I'd feel a bit uneasy knowing there were hungry bears in my area who have killed and eaten a person.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm Putting those bears down makes less and no sense.
I think you made a nonsense statement. Once bears find human meat delicious, they would want more of it. The same applies to mountain lions. The wildlife managers know the best!
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm
I think you made a nonsense statement. Once bears find human meat delicious, they would want more of it. The same applies to mountain lions. The wildlife managers know the best!
How do you know they found human meat delicious? That bear was protecting its cubs and nothing more. I highly doubt these bears were going to go on a human eating rampage.
Save Challenger Point
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm How do you know they found human meat delicious? That bear was protecting its cubs and nothing more. I highly doubt these bears were going to go on a human eating rampage.
You think bears, whose sole purpose for the next several months is to eat as much as they possibly can, will ignore a new food source they just found? How many lives you willing to gamble on that?

Like rpdawes said, wildlife managers know what they're doing. And this seems like a no-brainer.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

teamdonkey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:28 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm How do you know they found human meat delicious? That bear was protecting its cubs and nothing more. I highly doubt these bears were going to go on a human eating rampage.
You think bears, whose sole purpose for the next several months is to eat as much as they possibly can, will ignore a new food source they just found? How many lives you willing to gamble on that?

Like rpdawes said, wildlife managers know what they're doing. And this seems like a no-brainer.
Sorry, I think the odds of those bears eating another human is the same as any other bear which is pretty close to zero. I'm willing to take that chance.
Save Challenger Point
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm
How do you know they found human meat delicious? That bear was protecting its cubs and nothing more. I highly doubt these bears were going to go on a human eating rampage.
I didn't make a declarative statement that bears like human meat. Anyway, that mother did something more than just protecting her cubs. She killed and ate a human being. So she deserved being put down. I rather go with wildlife managers who possess knowledge and experience than with anybody who expresses nonsense opinions.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm

I didn't make a declarative statement that bears like human meat. Anyway, that mother did something more than just protecting her cubs. She killed and ate a human being. So she deserved being put down. I rather go with wildlife managers who possess knowledge and experience than with anybody who expresses nonsense opinions.
Nonsense because I have a different opinion than you? Sorry she was protecting her cubs. I doubt her intentions were to kill. The chances of this bear becoming a serial killer was less than zero. Any mother bear would have done the same thing. What did the cubs do to deserve death?
Save Challenger Point
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:20 pm
rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm
Nonsense because I have a different opinion than you? Sorry she was protecting her cubs. I doubt her intentions were to kill. The chances of this bear becoming a serial killer was less than zero. Any mother bear would have done the same thing. What did the cubs do to deserve death?
a quick google
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/why-e ... r-BB198sqI

“Euthanization is never a decision lightly taken here at park. Feeding on human remains is a behavior that once learned, bears learn to repeat. Once that association is made, it’s hard to break. The concern is they would pose a risk to public safety,” McInnis said.

Mike Pelton, a renowned wildlife biologist who started the first research project on black bears in the Great Smokies in 1968, agrees with bear euthanization if the cause of a human death is unknown.