Bear Attack

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Bear Attack

Post by rpdawes »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:20 pm Nonsense because I have a different opinion than you? Sorry she was protecting her cubs. I doubt her intentions were to kill. The chances of this bear becoming a serial killer was less than zero. Any mother bear would have done the same thing. What did the cubs do to deserve death?
Well, when did you suddenly become an experienced wildlife manager? Did you earn a degree in wildlife management? I am glad that you are not a wildlife manager who takes his/her job seriously.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:23 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:20 pm Nonsense because I have a different opinion than you? Sorry she was protecting her cubs. I doubt her intentions were to kill. The chances of this bear becoming a serial killer was less than zero. Any mother bear would have done the same thing. What did the cubs do to deserve death?
Well, when did you suddenly become an experienced wildlife manager? Did you earn a degree in wildlife management? I am glad that you are not a wildlife manager who takes his/her job seriously.
I'm not a wildlife manager. I have compassion though for defenseless animals that are needlessly killed, imo.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:29 pm
I'm not a wildlife manager. I have compassion though for defenseless animals that are needlessly killed, imo.
Do you have any compassion for deer that are needlessly killed by bears? By your definition, deer are defenseless animals.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Do you have any compassion for deer that are needlessly killed by bears? By your definition, deer are defenseless animals.
That's just silly. The bears were tranquilized.
Save Challenger Point
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:41 pm
rpdawes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:19 pm
That's just silly. The bears were tranquilized.
You guys are both silly.
These bears were probably not about to go on a rampage and kill a bunch of people, though their chance of killing people again is higher than other bears.
From a conservation standpoint, though, it is better to kill the bears than run the risk of them killing someone again. Fatal bear attacks are bad for the continued coexistence of bears and humans. We have 20,000 bears in the state and can spare a few for increased social tolerance.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:33 pm
teamdonkey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:28 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm How do you know they found human meat delicious? That bear was protecting its cubs and nothing more. I highly doubt these bears were going to go on a human eating rampage.
You think bears, whose sole purpose for the next several months is to eat as much as they possibly can, will ignore a new food source they just found? How many lives you willing to gamble on that?

Like rpdawes said, wildlife managers know what they're doing. And this seems like a no-brainer.
Sorry, I think the odds of those bears eating another human is the same as any other bear which is pretty close to zero. I'm willing to take that chance.
And I'd be fine with you taking that chance but the problem is that your position—which is incorrect—would be imposed on innocent humans. Out of curiosity, what is your acceptable exchange rate for bear lives v. human lives? Meaning, if you had to choose between the killing of ___ bears or 1 human, at what point would you decide that the human's life is more valuable? To make the thought experiment more advantageous to your position, assume we are killing bears who have not just eaten a human.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

mikefromcraig wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 am

You think bears, whose sole purpose for the next several months is to eat as much as they possibly can, will ignore a new food source they just found? How many lives you willing to gamble on that?

Like rpdawes said, wildlife managers know what they're doing. And this seems like a no-brainer.
Sorry, I think the odds of those bears eating another human is the same as any other bear which is pretty close to zero. I'm willing to take that chance.
And I'd be fine with you taking that chance but the problem is that your position—which is incorrect—would be imposed on innocent humans. Out of curiosity, what is your acceptable exchange rate for bear lives v. human lives? Meaning, if you had to choose between the killing of ___ bears or 1 human, at what point would you decide that the human's life is more valuable? To make the thought experiment more advantageous to your position, assume we are killing bears who have not just eaten a human.
If you're gonna kill a bear, at least give him due process. They killed the bear and its offspring even before they gave it a fair trial.

For me, the bear's life is more valuable than the human's, though. There's a lot more humans that bears. I don't propose killing half of humanity like Thanos(ptsgffsfdf...) does, but I AM a capitalist and believe in the laws of Supply and Demand. There's a lot less bears than humans, therefore, they are more valuable.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

prairiechicken wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 pm You guys are both silly.
What is really silly, and unfortunate, is that thanks to incidents like this many people who are easily led by the sensational aspect of it will become convinced that black bears are as carnivorous as all the pit bulls, alligators, dingoes, mountain lions and bobcats out there stalking them on their hike. NOT!

Animals generally just want to be left alone, and will do most anything to avoid human contact.

I'm sorry the woman lost her life, that the bears DID need to be put down, and that so many people are now going to be heebiejeebing around in the woods convinced they are next on the menu.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

12ersRule wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 am
If you're gonna kill a bear, at least give him due process. They killed the bear and its offspring even before they gave it a fair trial.

For me, the bear's life is more valuable than the human's, though. There's a lot more humans that bears. I don't propose killing half of humanity like Thanos(ptsgffsfdf...) does, but I AM a capitalist and believe in the laws of Supply and Demand. There's a lot less bears than humans, therefore, they are more valuable.
There's fewer male humans than female humans. So by your logic that means males are more valuable, right?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

mikefromcraig wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am There's fewer male humans than female humans. So by your logic that means males are more valuable, right?
No because there are fewer females on mountaineering websites than males. Mountaineerers are the only people that matter.
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

The current exchange rate of one human per year is acceptable to me. Had these 3 bears been allowed to live I do not believe the exchange rate would have increased.
Save Challenger Point
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:09 am The current exchange rate of one human per year is acceptable to me. Had these 3 bears been allowed to live I do not believe the exchange rate would have increased.
So one human per three bears then? While I certainly hope that most people place more value on human lives than you do, this is a matter of personal opinion so you are not "wrong."