14ers.com Merchant Links

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

14ers.com Merchant Links

Post by greenonion » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:03 am

Probably a real dumb question, and I think I know already, but want to be sure... Toward the bottom of the home page Bill asks us to click on the merchant links when buying things from those outfits so 14ers.com gets some of the proceeds. Just want to be sure that something actually has to be purchased vs. simply clicking on links and shopping around without buying. (I've been a member here since 2012 and yet feel like a complete noob right now. :roll: ) I need to remember to access these sites via 14ers so Bill continues to get support this way - and then actually purchase stuff.

Also, why don't I see links for the Kedrowski Klub or Backcountry.com? (JK!!)

Back to the original question - am actually wondering and hoping to make this clear for folks who use this site, while offering this reminder to use the links!
Oh wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn’s being...

Ode to the West Wind
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers:summits58 ski46 winter22 
13ers:summits166 ski54 winter36 
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 14ers.com Merchant Links

Post by BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 am

The site only gets a kickback if you purchase something. When you click the link on the home page, 14ers.com info is saved in a retailer-specific browser cookie so the retailer knows you came from 14ers.com and will send us a kickback if you make a purchase. The cookie usually lasts 30 days unless you clear your cookie cache or visit another site which has an affiliate link with the same retailer and you click that link.

BC was dropped after their "backcountry" shenanigans
JK doesn't deserve any help from us
greenonion

Post by greenonion » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:28 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 am
The site only gets a kickback if you purchase something. When you click the link on the home page, 14ers.com info is saved in a retailer-specific browser cookie so the retailer knows you came from 14ers.com and will send us a kickback if you make a purchase. The cookie usually lasts 30 days unless you clear your cookie cache or visit another site which has an affiliate link with the same retailer and you click that link.

BC was dropped after their "backcountry" shenanigans
JK doesn't deserve any help from us
Thanks, Bill. What I figured, but wanted to be sure.

USE THE MERCHANT LINKS, folks, lower down on the Home page!! Just a reminder...

Ode to the West Wind
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers:summits46 winter5 
13ers:summits39 ski1 winter8 
Trip Reports (27)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm

greenonion wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:03 am
Dr. Jekyll...uh, I mean...actually, nah, kinda fits...is peddling merchandise now?! Oh my dread lord Cthulhu... :barf:
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
greenonion

Post by greenonion » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:06 pm

HikesInGeologicTime wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 pm
greenonion wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:03 am
Dr. Jekyll...uh, I mean...actually, nah, kinda fits...is peddling merchandise now?! Oh my dread lord Cthulhu... :barf:
No, he's not! I was just being a dumbass!

Ode to the West Wind