Trip Report Editing Issue

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Trip Report Editing Issue

Post by Wentzl »

I think that time is an element in the glitch. I tried to duplicate my experience this morning, hacking out a fake report. But everything worked just like it should.

The times I lost a report, I was at the computer over 2 hours.

Funny thing, now I am unable to correctly duplicate the captcha code and unable to delete the report!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjEdbuCu6IY
daway8
14ers: 58 18
13ers: 99 21
Trip Reports (55)

Post by daway8 »

This sounds like perhaps the same issue I reported previously (see https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57723 )

The solution then was to hit the "Save as inactive" periodically while writing the report.

Bill later added a recovery feature that spit out the html code for everything that had been in the report and allowed you to copy/paste to restore what had just been lost. I tried that successfully a while after that but ever since have just made sure to regularly hit "save as inactive" then come back in and continue editing and I've never had that problem since.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 114 5
Trip Reports (13)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

daway8 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:19 pm This sounds like perhaps the same issue I reported previously (see https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57723 )

The solution then was to hit the "Save as inactive" periodically while writing the report.

Bill later added a recovery feature that spit out the html code for everything that had been in the report and allowed you to copy/paste to restore what had just been lost. I tried that successfully a while after that but ever since have just made sure to regularly hit "save as inactive" then come back in and continue editing and I've never had that problem since.
The last report I wrote I saved as inactive periodically throughout the drafting process. One of those times, it didn't save and lost the 4 or 5 paragraphs I'd most recently written and defaulted back to the save before. At least I didn't lose the whole thing, but the save as inactive feature is subject to the same glitch
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 32
13ers: 112 18
Trip Reports (33)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Hitting the save as inactive feature is what cause the glitch for me.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
supranihilest
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 512 10
Trip Reports (92)

Post by supranihilest »

daway8 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:19 pm This sounds like perhaps the same issue I reported previously (see https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57723 )

The thing that shows you the TR source code upon saving or upon some error is different. I've only seen that like two times and have no idea what triggered it, but it's clearly a solution Bill implemented to fix a known and different issue. What everyone else is talking about is something else and isn't caught by the same process, hence the data loss.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58 46 22
13ers: 167 55 45
Trip Reports (7)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Until I can look into it more and replicate the problem, I just added some debugging stuff to save raw trip text in a database every time one of the save buttons is tapped. Specifically, the report text as it was on the screen and then after it has been prepped and saved to the trip report. Maybe next time it happens I can determine the location and apply a fix.
“No one is exempt from the odds of even” - Marilyn Manson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

UPDATE: 8/4/2021

I did some debugging and monkeying around with this thing and still can't replicate the problem myself. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the browser session process while the user is working on the report.

SO...

I have rewritten the "Save" interface to save data on-the-fly, without submitting the page. When editing a report, you will notice two major differences: 1) A single Save button instead of two (inactive and activate) and 2) the Inactive/Active status is specified on the "Main" edit tab. When "Save" is clicked, data is validated and saved to the database and a success or failure message will be displayed. I hope this will fix the problem.

Please post in this thread if you have any further problems with the edit page. Sorry for the hassle and thanks for your patience!
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (33)

Thanks Bill!

I'm having a new issue when editing from mobile. Only half the page is fitting on the screen and there's no way to scroll to the rest.
20210808_112932.jpg
20210808_112932.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 960 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

I moved to the latest version of the TinyMCE editor (3rd party) and they must have made a change, causing the editor area not to wrap on small screens. I just switched it back to their previous version so it should be ok once you refresh.

I'm headed out to a climb tomorrow and will be sure to fix that when I return.

Thanks for the help!
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (33)

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:43 pm I moved to the latest version of the TinyMCE editor (3rd party) and they must have made a change, causing the editor area not to wrap on small screens. I just switched it back to their previous version so it should be ok once you refresh.

Thanks for the help!
That worked. Thanks!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (7)

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:19 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:43 pm I moved to the latest version of the TinyMCE editor (3rd party) and they must have made a change, causing the editor area not to wrap on small screens. I just switched it back to their previous version so it should be ok once you refresh.

Thanks for the help!
That worked. Thanks!
I spent some time this morning getting the new TinyMCE version (the TR editing interface) to format properly on mobile and I think I have it. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
Thanks
arianna2
14ers: 57
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (44)

Post by arianna2 »

I notice that the text and the pictures are on the same scroll bar now. The photos stay at the top so once you have a longer report you can't see your photos and grabbing one and bringing it down is hard-you have to hold the photo and scroll down with it. Any other options on this?