East Ridge Missouri Mountain

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vacas Valley
14ers: 38 6
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

East Ridge Missouri Mountain

Post by Vacas Valley »

Is the East Ridge of Missouri from Elkhead Pass worth the route-finding and potential hazards? Thumbs up or thumbs down on this route and why?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 80 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: East Ridge Missouri Mountain

Post by Ptglhs »

I've heard people who've done it out of foolishness or desperation say it's loose class 4+. It's not worth it IMO. If you want to do all 3 peaks then do Belford/Oxford, descend via elkhead, ascend and descend the standard of Missouri. If you have 4wd, only want Missouri, and want some solitude then do the West Ridge.
thebeave7
14ers: 58
13ers: 107
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Depends on what you enjoy and your risk tolerance. I've done the route, along with the back side via Iowa/Emerald, the standard route and the ridge up from Clohesy Lake. The East ridge is not what I'd call enjoyable, it's got one nerve racking (to me) section of Class 3-4 where you're traversing on broken dinner plates on top of slab then upclimbing a bit. Then above that the rock gets better and the climbing is more solid along the ridge proper. For me I don't usually do it because the risk is too high and I often end up there in the middle of a long linkup/traverse (ie Nolans) where I know my brain is a bit foggy and not totally there.
By comparison I have no problem soloing LB-Blanca traverse, the Bells Traverse, Capitol ridge direct, Blitzen Ridge, Keiners, etc.

It goes, not great.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 32
13ers: 119 18
Trip Reports (36)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Didnt Roach say something about that being the place of nightmares?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Barnold41
14ers: 13
13ers: 12

Post by Barnold41 »

justiner
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (30)

Post by justiner »

From Elkhead, the best route imho is this: once you get to the business (this is obvious), you have the option of going left or right, towards Missouri. Left is what I feel most people do. The terrain is very loose, and you'll have to swim up a gully that's trying very hard to fall down. Instead, go right, across an exposed, sloping ledge to a very loose face - falling on this face would be bad. Climb the face up to a dihedral, then up the dihedral. Good holds will appear - this is the best pitch of the business. Things are still loose so don't lose focus. Traverse out left at the top of the dihedral. Very solid Class 4 (grade), but still very loose (terrain). The rest is easy ridge walking.
terrysrunning
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 49

Post by terrysrunning »

First time I did it it was, to quote Roach, "the stuff of this authors nightmares", and it was the day I decided I needed an Inreach.
I read a couple trip reports from people who thought it was easy, though, so I went back a couple years later and much more experienced, and picked the right line, and it was so easy I was surprised when I got to the top.
So if you're pretty good at routefinding and judging loose terrain, there's a decent line to be found. But if you pick the wrong line, as most do, it'll be a miserable time, and maybe even fairly dangerous.
Jorts
14ers: 51 3 1
13ers: 66 12 5
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jorts »

Tried downclimbing it -on impulse without beta- back in July. Started as an easy traverse off the summit hopping around/down loose gullies and ribs. Then I hit the top of the dihedral. The holds were there but not solid. I started down, placed a foot and had a rather large flake pop off on me. Thought better of my decision and scrambled back up to the summit and down the west ridge.

Only later did I reach Roach's description. #-o

It's one dirty, exposed route.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @summityinzer
Strava: Brent Herring
JQDivide
14ers: 58 33
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (46)

Post by JQDivide »

That ridge is a dirty bitch.
But if you head toward the Iowa saddle you can skip the mess and still save some time if you are heading to Bel/Ox.
Vacas Valley
14ers: 38 6
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vacas Valley »

Right on! I appreciate everybody’s input on this route. I really like the “work around” heading towards Iowa saddle. I still will do the ridge proper at some point because I know it’s been done, can be done, just needs extra precautions. And I like to pucker my buttcheeks every once in a while. Lol.
tortilla
14ers: 58
13ers: 36

Post by tortilla »

I enjoyed Missouri’s East ridge. The standard is equally loose but without the fun dihedral. Justiner’s description is spot on. The loosest part is above the ledge he mentions. There’s also a low 5th handcrack to the right of the dihedral if you’re feeling it. I have lots of pictures showing the route, PM me if you want to see them
JacerJack
14ers: 58 3 3
13ers: 10 2 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

The first time I heard rock described as "shattered dinner plates sitting on ball bearings" was in reference to this route. That description still gives me the heebie-jeebies... That, and the already mentioned Roach quote of being "so rotten that it is relegated to this author's nightmares." But a badass linkup if you can pull it off!