Needle Route Description

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14ercooper
14ers: 58  2  32 
13ers: 386 1 25
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ❗Needle Route Description

Post by 14ercooper »

Gotta say, I'm really glad to see this change as someone who's done both variations semi-recently.
- 14ercooper
"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers. There are no old, bold climbers." - and I fully intend to be climbing when I'm old
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

daway8 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:11 pm Photos 16, 21 and 22 make it seem like there's still a crossover to do (text and arrows don't seem to be updated - maybe not even the right photos for the new route??)

Photos 23 and 25 still have text referring to going up the west gully.

Also, trying to download photos from the app currently brings a download failed message.

Also: photos 36 & 38 just bring up the 14ers logo - no picture. That might relate to the above...
Grrr. Yeah, it looks like the photo plug-in that I'm using in the Android app is not re-caching images properly. Additionally, there was one missing on the site datafeed used by Android, that's why you were getting a "Download Failed" error. The download should work now but the caching may persist. I'm looking at the app this morning and may have an Android version update later today or tomorrow to adjust that photo-plugin problem.
Thanks for help!

EDIT: I submitted a new version of the Android app to Google for review, hopefully it's in production today. When it is, I'll post in this thread and you'll just have to delete and re-add the Needle photos in the app route description. Sorry for the hassle
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CRCrux
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CRCrux »

Good call.
We did the Crestone Needle 4th class direct a few weeks ago, but only because we couldn’t find an obvious cross over of the gulley/dihedral that matched the route photos.
On the down climb of the east gulley we witnessed several people trying to descend towards the gulley crossing and almost falling due to being off route, bulky boots, and wearing thick gloves.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

ANDROID 14ERS.COM APP USERS:

A new version of the mobile app (v3.0.12) is available in the Google Play Store. I recommend updating if you plan on using the updated Crestone Needle route description.

1) On your device, close the 14ers.com app if it's open.
2) Update the app
3) Open the app and a popup should display that it updated to v3.0.12. If you are unsure of your version of the 14ers.com app, it can be found in Settings->Version Info.
4) If you previously "Saved Maps/Images for Offline" for the standard Crestone Needle route, scroll to the bottom of the route and tap "Delete Saved Images." Then "Save..." them again and you should get the latest pics.

As usual, if you have problems with it, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:47 pm
nunns wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:35 pm Just a general suggestion while it is a hot topic.
When posting a series of route pics, why stop at the summit?
It makes more sense to include a few pics of the descent and to put the AFTER the ascent pics and the summit views.
I often rearrange my pics from a route description to put the descent route pics AFTER the ascent route pics.

It isn't that hard to do so what I do, but it would be good for lazy people if route pics were ordered in such a way that the descent pics were after the ascent pics, not interspersed. I know that is asking the route describers to do more work so that other people can be lazier, but perhaps just on routes like this, it might save a life someday.

Sean Nunn
When I include "looking down" route pics, the intention is to provide a look around so the route doesn't become tunneled. While I agree some may be helpful on the descent, I think they are also very helpful to the flow of the ascent. I try to encourage people to take note of milestones and surroundings on the way up as well.

Now, a key issue here is that some people take one route up and another down. That's what I was referring to when I said I want to add some pics of the descent on the Needle to the end of at least the traverse route.
That all makes sense Bill. I appreciate all that you do.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am ANDROID 14ERS.COM APP USERS:

A new version of the mobile app (v3.0.12) is available in the Google Play Store. I recommend updating if you plan on using the updated Crestone Needle route description.
Excellent - after updating the app everything looks good and all the photo downloads are working properly.

Thanks Bill!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Needle Route Description

Win!

Glad I could get it fixed fast.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Needle Route Description

Post by disentangled »

You are a marvel, Bill...thanks for all you do!
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:47 pm Now, a key issue here is that some people take one route up and another down. That's what I was referring to when I said I want to add some pics of the descent on the Needle to the end of at least the traverse route.
If you're looking for something to include, Photo #39 on the needle standard route description was very useful for me finding the east gully to descend the traverse:

https://www.14ers.com/routes/cnee1/medi ... 2208181115
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

JaredJohnson wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:19 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:47 pm Now, a key issue here is that some people take one route up and another down. That's what I was referring to when I said I want to add some pics of the descent on the Needle to the end of at least the traverse route.
If you're looking for something to include, Photo #39 on the needle standard route description was very useful for me finding the east gully to descend the traverse:

https://www.14ers.com/routes/cnee1/medi ... 2208181115
Last year I took a couple of better, wider-angle shots from that location. I'll use one of them with some helpful annotations. Once I come up with a couple of "how to descend the Needle" photos, I'll add them to the end of the routes.