New Trip Report editor

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Re: New Trip Report editor

Post by rob runkle »

It ROCKS! The upload from my iPhone, without having to downsize the pics, is a big win! Thanks =D>
Now, if you can just come up with an auto-author function that reads my mind and places the words on the screen automatically.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

rob runkle wrote:It ROCKS! The upload from my iPhone, without having to downsize the pics, is a big win! Thanks =D>
Now, if you can just come up with an auto-author function that reads my mind and places the words on the screen automatically.
Thanks! It's getting there.

I'm not sure if you ran into size restriction problems uploading a phone pano - I might provide a "resize-on-the-fly" option in the upload process for huge images.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
rob runkle wrote:It ROCKS! The upload from my iPhone, without having to downsize the pics, is a big win! Thanks =D>
Thanks! It's getting there.

I'm not sure if you ran into size restriction problems uploading a phone pano - I might provide a "resize-on-the-fly" option in the upload process for huge images.
I had one pano in my upload this time. In that one, it had no problems uploading. It was small < 1mb. No problems with any of my other pics either.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

The learning curve of a new version of just about any software takes time. I have only done one TR with the new editor and for the most part, I like it. At first, I was with Otina in wishing I could go back to 1.0 but as I worked with it, it became more comfortable and intuitive. One thing I haven't figured out how to do - on 1.0, you could set the size of images but it doesn't seem apparent how to do that with 2.0. I don't like the way 2.0 defaults to putting some pics side by side and I think if I could override the default image sizing, I could overcome that. I also struggle with getting font sizes the way I want them also.

As always, thanks Bill for your continued work on making 14ers.com a very, VERY worthwhile site.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Jay521 wrote:The learning curve of a new version of just about any software takes time. I have only done one TR with the new editor and for the most part, I like it. At first, I was with Otina in wishing I could go back to 1.0 but as I worked with it, it became more comfortable and intuitive. One thing I haven't figured out how to do - on 1.0, you could set the size of images but it doesn't seem apparent how to do that with 2.0. I don't like the way 2.0 defaults to putting some pics side by side and I think if I could override the default image sizing, I could overcome that. I also struggle with getting font sizes the way I want them also.

As always, thanks Bill for your continued work on making 14ers.com a very, VERY worthwhile site.
Jay, thanks for posting this! Here are a few things on the new editor:

You can set custom image sizes in the new editor: Click on the image and you'll notice the image icon on the tool bar becomes highlighted. Click on that icon and you'll find the location to enter a custom size for the image. SEE IMAGE BELOW. The actual (default) image sizes are 800 pixels wide/high so if you select a custom size larger than that, it may get a tad blurry when viewed by others. However, many people don't realize that there's a "View With Large Images" option at the top of all trip reports. That option inserts the LARGE size (1600 pixels wide/high) for viewing.

For images that appear side-by-side, simply go to the right of the first image and hit <Enter>. Doing this in the editor creates a new paragraph.

Font Sizes: Right now there are only 6 font sizes baked into the editor and the default is "Paragraph". You have to select text, pull-down the "Format" menu and select one of the "Blocks." Not really intuitive but I'll work on that by possibly adding a toolbar icon and add more font sizes. SEE IMAGE BELOW

editor_images.jpg
editor_images.jpg (275.75 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
editor_fontsize.jpg
editor_fontsize.jpg (247.04 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

When viewing on mobile (Android), the images are compressed horizontally to fit the mobile phone screen. Is there any way to retain the aspect ratio?

I like the new editor. It made embedding and sizing photos super easy.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Thanks, Bill !! I just went back and resized my photos and I like the format result a lot. This new editor will make doing TR's much easier. Now I just gotta get out and hike/climb something worth writing a report on! :)
Last edited by Jay521 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Jay521 wrote:Thanks, Bill!!!!!!!
Annnddd I just added the in-line Font Size option so you're not limited to making an entire block the same font size. I hope this helps!!
editor_fontsize2.jpg
editor_fontsize2.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Monster5 wrote:When viewing on mobile (Android), the images are compressed horizontally to fit the mobile phone screen. Is there any way to retain the aspect ratio?
When viewing in the editor or full-on TR view page?
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Sheesh - I go back and add to my thank you note and you go and fix even more stuff.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

No problem at all. With the toolbars now auto-sizing, I can add more options like Font Size. :)

I'm here for ya, Jay!
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

TR view - might be unrelated to the editor.

Example below. Ute looks like a peak out of the Bugaboos or something.
Screenshot_20180612-125525_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180612-125525_Chrome.jpg (398.19 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich