Display Routes on Map Page?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rusty_Shackleford
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Display Routes on Map Page?

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

The map page under the "peaks" drop down menu gives you a good general idea of what part of the state the peaks are in, but I recently stumbled on a feature that already exists on the site that, IMO, is infinitely more useful for trip planning. If you go to the "routes" page for any peak, then click on the google map tab and zoom out to the statewide view, you get a map that not only has pins for each 14er, but the routes displayed as well.

This makes a huge difference for me in planning trips because not only can you see which peaks are in the same general area, you can see which side of the range the TH is located on. This can make a major difference in drive time - for example, Mt. Lindsey might seem to be a good combo with Blanca Peak and Ellingwood Point, until you realize that, despite their proximity, they're accessed from different TH's that happen to be a 2 hours drive apart.

Not only that, the color coding for trail class makes it so much easier to notice clusters of class 2 routes, for example, or multiple class 2 routes branching out from the same TH, without having to go to the peak pages to gather those details. While I do love the new route hazards filtering options on the route selection tool, seeing every route color coded on a single map works better when I'm trying to get a more general sense of difficulty (much more effective for me than a list of routes filtered by class).

Is there some reason this can't be implemented on the maps page? Unless there's something I'm missing, it seems like it would be easy to implement since we already have it on the site. In trying to come up with some alternate itineraries for a week-long trip, it's been the most helpful tool I've found yet and I really only stumbled onto it by accident.
goldenite
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Display Routes on Map Page?

Post by goldenite »

For me, the the Overlays drop down menu lets me select 14er routes and they all show up color coded and linked to the route page. Is this what you're talking about?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2294 times
Rusty_Shackleford
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Display Routes on Map Page?

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

Well now I feel dumb. Can't believe I never noticed that before.