Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 111 9
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by SurfNTurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

Monster5 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:28 am
I figured the $15/hr intern handling THE SurfnTurf's customer service request would march straight over to the CEO's office, shove the papers off the desk, flip it over, and demand immediate change.

(Oxford comma added for clarity)
FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am
Wtf else they gonna say dude?
That's a canned response handed to all their CSRs from the company bigwigs. It's a copy/paste job. While the $15/hour salary is probably sadly accurate given wages within the outdoor industry, the social media coordinators and customer service representatives (who are not interns) have absolutely nothing to do with formulating the language.

Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering correcting its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.

I do appreciate your attempts at trolling though, Ryan.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Monster5
14ers: 58 30
13ers: 284 51
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am

Nah, it means they're delaying response until they get early $ numbers back from their accountants.
SurfNTurf wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am
Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering changing its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
angry
14ers: 58 37
13ers: 137 13

Post by angry » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
The CEO will be releasing a statement this week. Stand by.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 111 9
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:04 am

Monster5 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am
Nah, it means they're delaying response until they get early $ numbers back from their accountants.
SurfNTurf wrote:
Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering changing its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
Undoubtedly. I'm sure their legal teams are also working around the clock. Still, it's bad crisis communication. I'm not saying they need to announce some momentous decision immediately, but their PR response to this nightmare has been terrible. Sticking your head in the sand is never a good move.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
painless4u2
14ers: 58
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am

pfiore1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:19 pm
Not only dozens and dozens of mostly small businesses with "backcountry" somewhere in their name, but also businesses that use a goat in their logo. Several businesses that have a goat in their logo, most of them not even resembling the dotcom goat, are also getting sued. And this has been going on for years.
Maybe I need a new avatar...nah, nah, nah.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
bergsteigen
14ers: 58 52 18
13ers: 522 107 18
Trip Reports (233)

Post by bergsteigen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Response from Nielsen, finally. At least they have dropped the suit against Marquette Backcountry Skis.

https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/backcount ... ark-blowup
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Tornadoman
14ers: 58 4
13ers: 201 29
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm
Response from Nielsen, finally. At least they have dropped the suit against Marquette Backcountry Skis.

Too little too late imo, plenty of other companies to buy from out there. It will be interesting to see how this hits impacts their bottom line.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58 52 18
13ers: 522 107 18
Trip Reports (233)

Post by bergsteigen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Tornadoman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm
bergsteigen wrote:

Too little too late imo, plenty of other companies to buy from out there. It will be interesting to see how this hits impacts their bottom line.
Yep. I’m done with them. Most of their sales comes from the next 2 months. They may not recover this year. A warning to others who pull corporate lawyer BS.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
davebobk47
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 118 2 4

Post by davebobk47 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 am

bergsteigen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:55 pm
Tornadoman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm
bergsteigen wrote:

Yep. I’m done with them. Most of their sales comes from the next 2 months. They may not recover this year. A warning to others who pull corporate lawyer BS.
Ditto, even if they drop everything today I'll likely never use them again - they used to be one of my top 3 "go to" places (usually S&C more than main site).
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Wentzl
14ers: 58 22
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (45)

Post by Wentzl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Wentzl wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Here is another recent response

Dear Backcountry Community,

We have heard your feedback and concerns, and understand we fumbled in how we pursued trademark claims recently. We made a mistake.

In an attempt to protect the brand we have been building for nearly 25 years, we took certain actions that we now recognize were not consistent with our values, and we truly apologize.

It’s important to note that we tried to resolve these trademark situations amicably and respectfully, and we only took legal action as a last resort. That said, we know we mishandled this, and we are withdrawing the Marquette Backcountry action. We will also reexamine our broader approach to trademarks to ensure we are treating others in a way that is consistent with the culture and values envisioned by our founders and embraced by our community.

We only want what’s best for the whole community and we want every person and business in it to thrive. Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word “backcountry” or completely preventing anyone else from using it. But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions.

We understand that this step we’ve taken may not be enough for some of you. The hope is that we can ultimately win back your trust, even if it takes time. We are grateful to be a part of your lives, providing you with great gear for your outdoor adventures, and all we want is to go back to doing what we do best. We intend to learn from this and become a better company.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Nielsen, CEO Backcountry
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
davebobk47
14ers: 58 2
13ers: 118 2 4

Post by davebobk47 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm

so they said yeah, we're sorry we screwed up yet they only dropped 1 of the lawsuits? Seems like if they were really sincere they'd drop more/all.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev