Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by cedica »

semitrueskerm wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:59 pm Simple solution. All owners of websites should sue Backcountry.com for trademark infringement by using ".com" in their name.
Sun Microsystems used creative marketing to advertise how they "invented dot in dot com". Since they went under long time ago and Oracle acquired what was left, they should now sue everybody. Is it possible to litigate further than that? :-"
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

here are the emails addresses to make your thought known :
customerexperience@backcountry.com and jnielsen@backcountry.com (CEO)
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I am curious what generic replies if any they have been sending out to people emailing them.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm I am curious what generic replies if any they have been sending out to people emailing them.
Probably a coupon, 10% off on their next purchase.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Bombay2Boulder wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm I am curious what generic replies if any they have been sending out to people emailing them.
Don’t accept Backcountry currently has 20% off one item anyway. Hold out for 30%. Speaking of 20% off one item doesn’t everybody’s favorite co-op REI usually have a 20% deal in the fall? Haven’t seen it this year.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

You could find out by sending them an email yourself... The response I got was:

"I appreciate you reaching out, and also appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this matter with us. Your voice is important to us and we will certainly share your feedback with our Leadership team. While we would be really disappointed to lose your business, we understand and appreciate your perspective. Please know that we will continue to be here for you, ready to support your outdoor pursuits should you ever need us. In the meantime, here’s to hoping for a cold winter and a safe season outside."
"Be the beta you wish to find."
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

They said they would take my concerns to their leadership. It was an appropriate corporate response. I don't care if they give me 50%, they've lost my business.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

davebobk47 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:28 am
They said they would take my concerns to their leadership. It was an appropriate corporate response. I don't care if they give me 50%, they've lost my business.
My post was sarcastic, thought that was apparent.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

kingshimmers wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:45 am
"I appreciate you reaching out, and also appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this matter with us. Your voice is important to us and we will certainly share your feedback with our Leadership team. While we would be really disappointed to lose your business, we understand and appreciate your perspective. Please know that we will continue to be here for you, ready to support your outdoor pursuits should you ever need us. In the meantime, here’s to hoping for a cold winter and a safe season outside."
Wow. Basically PR speak for "good riddance, we don't need you." That's a bold strategy for treating customers, let's see how it plays out for them...
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

SurfNTurf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 amWow. Basically PR speak for "good riddance, we don't need you." That's a bold strategy for treating customers, let's see how it plays out for them...
Wtf else they gonna say dude?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I figured the $15/hr intern handling THE SurfnTurf's customer service request would march straight over to the CEO's office, shove the papers off the desk, flip it over, and demand immediate change.

(Oxford comma added for clarity)
FireOnTheMountain wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am Wtf else they gonna say dude?
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Monster5 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:28 am I figured the $15/hr intern handling THE SurfnTurf's customer service request would march straight over to the CEO's office, shove the papers off the desk, flip it over, and demand immediate change.

(Oxford comma added for clarity)
FireOnTheMountain wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am Wtf else they gonna say dude?
That's a canned response handed to all their CSRs from the company bigwigs. It's a copy/paste job. While the $15/hour salary is probably sadly accurate given wages within the outdoor industry, the social media coordinators and customer service representatives (who are not interns) have absolutely nothing to do with formulating the language.

Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering correcting its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.

I do appreciate your attempts at trolling though, Ryan.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper