Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by Monster5 »

Nah, it means they're delaying response until they get early $ numbers back from their accountants.
SurfNTurf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering changing its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

SurfNTurf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
The CEO will be releasing a statement this week. Stand by.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Monster5 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am Nah, it means they're delaying response until they get early $ numbers back from their accountants.
SurfNTurf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am Reading between the lines, that response says to me, "We're not going to change, deal with it or don't." They used flowery language to say it, which apparently works on some of you, but nothing in there leads me to believe Backcountry is even considering changing its corporate behavior. The negative connotations are also amplified by the company's total radio silence since Oct. 30.
Undoubtedly. I'm sure their legal teams are also working around the clock. Still, it's bad crisis communication. I'm not saying they need to announce some momentous decision immediately, but their PR response to this nightmare has been terrible. Sticking your head in the sand is never a good move.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

pfiore1 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:19 pm Not only dozens and dozens of mostly small businesses with "backcountry" somewhere in their name, but also businesses that use a goat in their logo. Several businesses that have a goat in their logo, most of them not even resembling the dotcom goat, are also getting sued. And this has been going on for years.
Maybe I need a new avatar...nah, nah, nah.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Response from Nielsen, finally. At least they have dropped the suit against Marquette Backcountry Skis.

https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/backcount ... ark-blowup
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

bergsteigen wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm Response from Nielsen, finally. At least they have dropped the suit against Marquette Backcountry Skis.

Too little too late imo, plenty of other companies to buy from out there. It will be interesting to see how this hits impacts their bottom line.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm Response from Nielsen, finally. At least they have dropped the suit against Marquette Backcountry Skis.

Too little too late imo, plenty of other companies to buy from out there. It will be interesting to see how this hits impacts their bottom line.
Yep. I’m done with them. Most of their sales comes from the next 2 months. They may not recover this year. A warning to others who pull corporate lawyer BS.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

bergsteigen wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:55 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Yep. I’m done with them. Most of their sales comes from the next 2 months. They may not recover this year. A warning to others who pull corporate lawyer BS.
Ditto, even if they drop everything today I'll likely never use them again - they used to be one of my top 3 "go to" places (usually S&C more than main site).
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

so they said yeah, we're sorry we screwed up yet they only dropped 1 of the lawsuits? Seems like if they were really sincere they'd drop more/all.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Their apology sounds more like “we are sorry you caught us” rather than “we are sorry we did it.”
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

As a recovering litigator and former VP of a Fortune 50 company, I recognize the crisis management techniques in the CEO's statement: Humbly fall on your sword, throw in phrases about how you strayed from your core values, "that's not who we are...," then toss a bone of contrition, e.g. settle an inconsequential lawsuit you probably would have lost anyway. After that, lay low for a couple of months. Then pick right back up where you left off, because they think the public has the attention span of a 3 year old.

Just my opinion.

-Tom

PS: I didn't copyright the advice above, feel free to use it! :lol: