Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by Chicago Transplant »

DArcyS wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:10 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:09 am I agree with Martin, "backcountry" is a generic term. Its like Ohio State trying to trademark "The" (Which it did, and was denied).

I'll continue to support the local shops as much as I can, like Alpine Quest and Ptarmigan Sports in Edwards and Wilderness Sports in Summit for my backcountry needs.
Yes, back country is a generic term, but the issue is whether it's generic with respect to their goods and services. The big battle line in trademark law is whether the mark is descriptive of the goods or services, in which case the mark is afforded no protection, or suggestive of the goods or services, in which case the Patent and Trademark Office is happy to register the mark. Descriptive marks are not afforded protection because other companies must be allowed to use the descriptive term to sell their goods and services. So, does "back country" describe what they are selling, e.g., how does back country describe a hiking boot or ski? Or does back country only suggest something about their goods and services, such as where they are used?

So, I think the law is on Backcountry's side, but that doesn't mean they need to be pond scum. This tactic of consumer pressure is good. There's no need for a mark to sell goods and services if nobody is going to buy from them because they're acting like big jerks.
I think that what you are saying actually weakens Backcountry's claim. "Backcountry" is a descriptive term. It is gear for the backcountry. As you say, other companies should be allowed to use the same descriptive terminology. Perhaps the USPTO did not see it that way and is why they allowed them trademark, but most people I know use terms like "backcountry" interchangeably with other descriptors such as "touring", "randonnee", "telemarking", "skinning", "ski mountaineering" etc when describing the type of skiing activity they are participating in.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:46 am
nunns wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 am
Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:26 pm How does it work with companies that had the word backcountry in their name before backcountry.com existed (Backcountry Magazine, for example)?
For that matter, why doesn't Backcountry Magazine sue THEM?
Kind of reminds me of Notre Dame's overzealous enforcement of their name. Notre Dame I understand. Getting ND trademarked is a different story.
And thank goodness that sanity prevailed on Ohio State's attempt to trademark the word THE.

Sean Nunn
probably lack of funds
Yes. The Steamworks/Cascadia(n) story had small breweries caving rather than spend money on litigation, and mostly adopted the name "Black IPA" instead of Cascadian Dark Ale. That is until they served Lefthand with a Cease and Desist. Lefthand turned around with a GFY.

Strangely, then Lefthand tried to do something equally douchey when they attempted to trademark the word "Nitro". They eventually abandoned the effort.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 am
DArcyS wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:10 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:09 am I agree with Martin, "backcountry" is a generic term. Its like Ohio State trying to trademark "The" (Which it did, and was denied).

I'll continue to support the local shops as much as I can, like Alpine Quest and Ptarmigan Sports in Edwards and Wilderness Sports in Summit for my backcountry needs.
Yes, back country is a generic term, but the issue is whether it's generic with respect to their goods and services. The big battle line in trademark law is whether the mark is descriptive of the goods or services, in which case the mark is afforded no protection, or suggestive of the goods or services, in which case the Patent and Trademark Office is happy to register the mark. Descriptive marks are not afforded protection because other companies must be allowed to use the descriptive term to sell their goods and services. So, does "back country" describe what they are selling, e.g., how does back country describe a hiking boot or ski? Or does back country only suggest something about their goods and services, such as where they are used?

So, I think the law is on Backcountry's side, but that doesn't mean they need to be pond scum. This tactic of consumer pressure is good. There's no need for a mark to sell goods and services if nobody is going to buy from them because they're acting like big jerks.
I think that what you are saying actually weakens Backcountry's claim. "Backcountry" is a descriptive term. It is gear for the backcountry. As you say, other companies should be allowed to use the same descriptive terminology. Perhaps the USPTO did not see it that way and is why they allowed them trademark, but most people I know use terms like "backcountry" interchangeably with other descriptors such as "touring", "randonnee", "telemarking", "skinning", "ski mountaineering" etc when describing the type of skiing activity they are participating in.
Yes, you're right, "back country skis." But would you buy skis just knowing that they are "back country skis," or would you need to know more? Which is to say, are they telemark skis, skating skis, etc. So maybe "back country" isn't used by the people who actually sell skis to describe the skis. Nonetheless, you raise a good point, and if you're right, then some attorney will ultimately work to cancel their mark.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

For those on Facebook, there’s a group organizing support and even a GoFundMe for lawyers to tackle the issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/538528110277900

Over 5K supporters in 72 hours.

BackcountryDotCom has gone silent. No social media response, other than shutting down their public FB posts and Google is censoring negative reviews.

Bill has removed his BC/SAC affiliate links from this site, so be sure to use the other links!!!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have spent a ton of money with Backcountry.com over the years. I am voting with my wallet, they will not get anymore of my money with their current business model.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

In the Colorado Sun article, one of Backcountry's trademark lawyers actually compares the company to Amazon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's one thing to protect your trademarks. It's another to trademark an insanely common word like "backcountry" and bully everyone else that uses it. I don't think anyone would care if they were defending the full "Backcountry.com" name -- I get them going after other e-tailers like BackcountryGear.com -- but suing sandwich and coffee companies? GFY. Especially given the current trend within the outdoor industry to work and partner more together, instead of treating every other brand as pure competition. I guess this is what happens when you take something good, like the original Backcountry.com and Steep & Cheap, and sell out to a private equity firm. The Backcountry.com brand is no longer a member of the outdoor community, as far as I'm concerned. Add me to the list of ex-customers. (Though it does pain me to delete the Steep & Cheap app...)
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Since I had a product with the name "backcountry" before backcountry.com existed, can I sue them? I have the copyright (from 1994).

176734.jpg
176734.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

The trademark they registered is: The mark consists of a unique stylized image of a mountain goat within a circle and the word "Backcountry" to the right of the circle.

They have zero right to the word or term backcountry w/o the goat. So they will lose all lawsuits but they are hoping the small retailers will cave. The social media boycott is the right solution.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Currently over 7000 signatures and counting. https://www.facebook.com/groups/538528110277900
SurfNTurf wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am
It's one thing to protect your trademarks. It's another to trademark an insanely common word. The Backcountry.com brand is no longer a member of the outdoor community, as far as I'm concerned. Add me to the list of ex-customers.
Attachments
1685443879.gif
1685443879.gif (384.57 KiB) Viewed 5463 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Simple solution. All owners of websites should sue Backcountry.com for trademark infringement by using ".com" in their name.
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Not only dozens and dozens of mostly small businesses with "backcountry" somewhere in their name, but also businesses that use a goat in their logo. Several businesses that have a goat in their logo, most of them not even resembling the dotcom goat, are also getting sued. And this has been going on for years.

I recently clicked on the fourth link that curt86iroc listed and holy crap that's a lot of lawsuits. Scraping the goat off my truck that I have had on for years and obviously no longer buying from them. Wouldn't surprise me if they try to sue this website for having an anti bcdotcom post and the boycott FB page.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:25 pm Bill has removed his BC/SAC affiliate links from this site, so be sure to use the other links!!!
I noticed that too. Kudos to Bill! Would suggest making a donation to 14ers.com to help offset any lost revenue from those sources.