Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by 12ersRule »

I forgive you backcountry.com. You are less evil than Amazon.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

davebobk47 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm so they said yeah, we're sorry we screwed up yet they only dropped 1 of the lawsuits? Seems like if they were really sincere they'd drop more/all.
If they dropped all the lawsuits and paid back the legal fees to all the companies they tried to strong arm, it would show they were sincere.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

They need to sever their relationship w IPLA and Kim. Otherwise they cannot regain credibility. Interesting how quickly the FB site grew. https://www.facebook.com/groups/boycott ... acy_change
around 17,000 members.

They do not and cannot own the rights to the word, just like Apple cannot own the rights to the name of a fruit. Apple can definitely protect their trademark but they can't go after orchards and gricery stores. Trademark law grants limited rights. The whole idea that a junior registrant can trump senior trademarks is bizarre. Legal reform where loser pays might stop this nonsense.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I liked it better when I didn’t know about all the crap that companies did before the days of social media.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

every time I pee into the wind, I always get at least a little on my shoes. Every. Single. Time.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Backcountry.com changed their policy and apologized:

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-stat ... oycott-ceo

A story on Channel 31 said there was intense social pressure. That may have been us.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

peter303 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 am Backcountry.com changed their policy and apologized:

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-stat ... oycott-ceo

A story on Channel 31 said there was intense social pressure. That may have been us.
They still only dropped one lawsuit.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 pm I liked it better when I didn’t know about all the crap that companies did before the days of social media.
Companies and governments are just groups of people. And people have been a-holes since day one. But the trick is to focus on the donut, not the hole. I believe most people are good people. There's likely more to this story than meets the eye... usually is.
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm more updates:

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-fire ... ationships
Nope. Bye... I spent years displaying their logo to the Colorado hiking community but no more. Their contrition falls flat in my opinion and, as a relatively small company, they should have been all over this before the sh!t REALLY hit the fan. Nope. Bye.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Bill you removed their link just as I was getting ready to place a $400 order. Not that I wanted to buy from them but I got a nice gift certificate and need to use it.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood