Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by curt86iroc »

Bringing this post over from Mountain Project. It seems Backcountry.com has been suing small businesses that use the word "backcountry" in their name and trying to run them out of business. Most disturbing, they filed a lawsuit earlier this year against Backcountry Babes, an outdoor education group for women that operates in CO. info below:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/t ... aying-nice

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/31/back ... -business/

https://www.kunr.org/post/backcountryco ... k#stream/0

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam ... %20&page=1

https://wintrymix.podbean.com/
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Consider Not Buying from Backcountry.com

Post by speth »

If you don’t defend your trademark, you’re effectively abandoning it in the eyes of the law. Feel good - no. Business smart - probably.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
curt86iroc
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

speth wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 am If you don’t defend your trademark, you’re effectively abandoning it in the eyes of the law. Feel good - no. Business smart - probably.
it's one thing to sue another business, but suing an outdoor education organization is different...
ZNixon
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ZNixon »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:23 am Most disturbing, they filed a lawsuit earlier this year against Backcountry Babes

Oh no!! Not the babes!!! ](*,) :cry:
"Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate." -Nietzsche

@ZNixon101
http://zenixon.simplesite.com/
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Everybody needs to head up to Frisco and pound as many beers from Backcountry Brewing as you possibly can. Then, when they become a brewing leviathan due to every skier and hiker patronizing their business, they'll be big enough to sue the other 'Backcountry' company into oblivion.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Ha! The sweet new/consignment gear shop in town used to be called Backcountry Pursuit, then BC.come lawyers called em up. Its now called Boise Gear Collective. That happened like 9 months ago.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

speth wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 amIf you don’t defend your trademark, you’re effectively abandoning it in the eyes of the law.
Well, yes, of course, but "backcountry" is a generic term, and most of us are having difficulty understanding how a company called Marquette Backcountry Skis might somehow be infringing on whatever trademark is claimed by Backcountry.com. After all, Backcountry.com has co-existed with brands like Backcountry Magazine, Backcountry Access and Backcountrygear.com for many years. It's very strange that Backcountry.com is inviting bad publicity and risking customer backlash by going after a small company that doesn't even compete with them in the first place, yet they're leaving well-established brands alone.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree with Martin, "backcountry" is a generic term. Its like Ohio State trying to trademark "The" (Which it did, and was denied).

I'll continue to support the local shops as much as I can, like Alpine Quest and Ptarmigan Sports in Edwards and Wilderness Sports in Summit for my backcountry needs.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

FCSquid wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:47 am Everybody needs to head up to Frisco and pound as many beers from Backcountry Brewing as you possibly can. Then, when they become a brewing leviathan due to every skier and hiker patronizing their business, they'll be big enough to sue the other 'Backcountry' company into oblivion.
It closed!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

martinleroux wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am
speth wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 amIf you don’t defend your trademark, you’re effectively abandoning it in the eyes of the law.
Well, yes, of course, but "backcountry" is a generic term, and most of us are having difficulty understanding how a company called Marquette Backcountry Skis might somehow be infringing on whatever trademark is claimed by Backcountry.com. After all, Backcountry.com has co-existed with brands like Backcountry Magazine, Backcountry Access and Backcountrygear.com for many years. It's very strange that Backcountry.com is inviting bad publicity and risking customer backlash by going after a small company that doesn't even compete with them in the first place, yet they're leaving well-established brands alone.
I wondered why backcountryedge.com just changed to enwild.com, and backcountry deli just changed to yampa deli...interesting. And kind of dumb. TSG Partners (private equity firm) acquired a majority stake in Backcountry in 2015, and you can be sure this is a TSG move.

I'm positive a way to ensure other silly corporate tactics like this trademark enforcement is to lower their sales without any communication. Instead - write a letter, call them, send in complaints with reasonable thoughts.

Backcountry:
info@backcountry.com
I won't dox anyone, but you can find the corporate leaders for Backcountry on this page and contact them via linkedin. We live in a connected world, shoot the general counsel a reasonable message why you don't think this is fair, it will be interesting to hear his thuoghts: etc. http://www.backcountrycorp.com/

TSG:
TSG-SVC@Sardverb.com
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
curt86iroc
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

You can also email customerexperience@backcountry.com and tell them your dissatisfaction. I have already done this and received a quick response. thought not to my liking, they at least responded to my email.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

martinleroux wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am
I'm not defending them, I'm just pointing out what they're incentivized to do.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.