Self destruct button for Trip Reports

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Self destruct button for Trip Reports

Post by daway8 »

So while writing up my latest trip report I had left the window open for longer than normal (took a while writing it and also got distracted/delayed several times) so apparently it had been idle long enough for my login to automatically time-out.

When I finally put all the finishing touches on the trip report and hit "Save and Activate" it instead (since I was apparently no longer logged in) acted as a self-destruct button that obliterated everything (I checked the trip report tab and it didn't show up and when I went to my trip report history it showed up as a report in progress but with only the title and photos).

Fortunately I had done a rough draft in Word so I was able to copy over most of the data but had to reinsert and re-caption all the photos, tweak the formatting etc.

Is there a good way (other than not taking too long) to make sure you don't auto-destruct trip reports by having your login timed out mid-report?
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Re: Self destruct button for Trip Reports

Post by WildWanderer »

You can save it as inactive while you're working on it a few times to ensure your progress isn't lost.
It's a mountain: get over it.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Wow, that's rough. Sorry man. Good thing you had a draft.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I’ll see what I can do to avoid this.

It was probably caused by an IP address change in the session that was inactive.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs